Elytron detail, Chrysochroa rajah thailandica

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Elytron detail, Chrysochroa rajah thailandica

Post by Charles Krebs »

The iridescence of the elytra of this "jewel beetle" can be very intense and vary very dramatically when the light hits the surface at certain angles. Here are a couple of shots of a transition from a red stripe to the more overall green color.

Olympus BHA, 5/0.13 Neo SPlan, 2.5X NFK photoeyepiece, BH2-UMA vertical illuminator, Epi-darkfield, Canon DSLR.

Olympus BHA, 10/0.30 Neo SPlan, 2.5X NFK photoeyepiece, BH2-UMA vertical illuminator, Epi-darkfield, Canon DSLR.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Beautiful images Charles. While the science of these is very interesting, the art is what draws me in. :)

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Charlie,

Very nice images. I like the second one very much. By the way, how strong lamp do you use with your vertical illuminator ?

Marek

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Marek,
By the way, how strong lamp do you use with your vertical illuminator ?
I'm using a fiber optic illuminator. The (used) BH2-UMA I have came with a "collector" element and an attachment that takes a (rather narrow tipped) fiber optic light guide. By chance I had a light guide that "split" to three output ends and they fit nicely. It's worked out OK, but I could certainly use more light with the 5X and some crossed polarization uses. Unfortunately the Olympus high wattage tungsten-halogen lamphouse made for the BH2-UMA doesn't show up that often (at least separately at a price I would consider).

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Charlie,

Thank you very much for your explanation

Marek

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic