another Vorticella

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bernhardinho

another Vorticella

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi again,

well, using the flash is good fun, I must say: here you see adoral membrane of cilia quite nicely:

Bernhard

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Nice shot here also Bernhard, you captured the cilia quite nicely. :D

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi Bernhard,

Well once again you are responsible for me hitting the sack best part of an hour later than planned :D . "Adoral membrane of cilia" :? Well I couldn't log off without at least checking that one out. Not easy to track down either. I'm still hungry for more info on this one, however just in case the term is new to anyone else, there's a simple, top-level description by Wim Van Egmond on this webpage:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artaug06/azm.html

Nice photo Bernhard.

Bruce
Last edited by Bruce Williams on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Yes and that leads to the cytostome and he captured the "spasmoneme," often referend to as the myoneme very nicely also. This is located in the stalk directly below the posterior of the lorica where the ciliary ring or band sometimes develops right before the Vorticella becomes a telotroch. :D

Spasmoneme, telotroch! There is going to be a ghost image of Google on his monitor before long. :lol:

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

AAAaaargh!!!

Bruce...zzzzzzz

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ken Ramos wrote:Yes and that leads to the cytostome and he captured the "spasmoneme," often referend to as the myoneme very nicely also. This is located in the stalk directly below the posterior of the lorica where the ciliary ring or band sometimes develops right before the Vorticella becomes a telotroch. :D
:lol: :lol: Dang, now where is that "Rolling On The Floor Laughing" emoticon?!

I called my wife over and read this one out loud to her. Did it almost with a straight face, too, right up until the very end, anyway! :lol: :lol:

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Bruce Williams wrote:Hi Bernhard,

Well once again you are responsible for me hitting the sack best part of an hour later than planned :D . "Adoral membrane of cilia" :? Well I couldn't log off without at least checking that one out. Not easy to track down either. I'm still hungry for more info on this one, however just in case the term is new to anyone else, there's a simple, top-level description by Wim Van Egmond on this webpage:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artaug06/azm.html

Nice photo Bernhard.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

well; I sort of have to apologize there, because I didn't find the correct English term and my translation of the German one was probably a bit inaccurate. I found some better ones in my English literature.

"adoral ciliary spiral on peristomal disc"

And a quotation from the Patterson book might be helpful:

" The only cilia that are present are the wreaths of feeding cilia, made of an upper band, which corresponds to a membranelle and generates currents of water for feeding, and a lower band, which corresponds to the undulating manmbrane"

All this referring to the peritrichs, esp. Vorticella.

Please note, that the AZM (as in the link to Wim's page) is a feature of the spirotrichs, NOT of the peritrichs!!

Bernhard

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi Bernhard,

Sorry for tardy reply but didn't get the usual email advising me of your posting. I always enjoy the hunt but looks like I bagged the wrong animal this time :D .

Thanks for the clarification.

Bruce

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic