working on my flash set-up

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mark_h

working on my flash set-up

Post by mark_h »

I have been putting together my macro rig after reading many many posting
and it is coming along Image

I took this image this morningImage

What I need advice on is how to eliminate the reflections from the ant's body
my flash is set to TTL and the camera to Auto. The deflector is a plastic container lined with aluminum foil with a dual layer of paper towels for a cover.
I tried an umbrella but I can not get rid of the reflection, so I am open to suggestions. Thanks

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

To greatly reduce or completely get rid of those flash reflections from shiny surfaces, the only technique I know is "cross polarization". Follow the links from THIS POST for discussion and details.

The reflections can also be made less obvious and more natural appearing, by placing a diffuser much closer to the specimen so that it covers "most of the sky" from the subject's standpoint. That will change the current very bright, rather small, hard-edged reflections to be not so bright, much larger, and soft-edged, more like natural light on an overcast day.

I hope this helps -- your image and setup look good!

--Rik

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

mark_h,

In addition to Rik's cross-polarisation suggestion; here is a link to some very good articles written by Alex Wild. He is using different equipment; but similar principles apply.

http://myrmecos.net/articles/

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

sonyalpha

Post by sonyalpha »

Re: Too bright flash reflections.......

......Before you try anything expensive...just...find a standard opaque paper folder (A4 size UK)...then wrap it around the flash ....use an elastic band to hold it in place:

It will look a little like the protective collar a vet fits on to an injured pet:

The amount it overhangs the front flash ...or...closeness to the lens can be adjusted at will by moving it back and forth........if you still get bright reflections fit a second one:

It works for me......see my posts:

sonyalpha
Retired but not old in spirit:

Fairly new to photography........keen to learn:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic