www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Strange Bug
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Strange Bug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Micro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Strange Bug Reply with quote

I can't decide if this bug is ugly or beautiful. It crawled across my foot and I yelled to my daughter, "Krystal get a Ziploc bag so we can catch this bug!" It's about 4 mm long.

The first picture is of the entire bug at less than 10X taken through the phototube of the stereo microscope. I noticed that there are two strange features just behind its eyes that looked like tubes. I thought that maybe they were breathing tubes and put it in the compound scope at 40X to get a closer look. The reflected light makes them look more like an eye than a tube. Any ideas? The third picture, of course, is a 40X shot of its eye. The picture did not come out well mostly because of poor lighting. It was after midnight so I didn't take the time to set up any diffuser.

The first is a Zerene PMax stack of about 24 pictures, the second is 26, and the third is about 50 pictures.

Two questions:
1) What is this?
2) What are the structures behind the eyes?

Thanks!
Mike

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a "true bug" of some sort -- order Hemiptera. I can't get it any closer from these views. Somebody else may recognize it.

I can't tell exactly which features you're looking at just behind the eyes. Many of these bugs have large ocelli (single-faceted eyes). Your second picture looks like it might be one of those.

--Rik
scitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're correct with the ocelli. The picture did not come out well. It's far clearer by eye through the scope. Here's a cropped picture with the features circled.

Thx,
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Micro All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: