Mite as Well Make a Post

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Mite as Well Make a Post

Post by Ken Ramos »

Water Mite
Zeiss Axiostar Plus w/Sony DSC-P200

First time I have had the Axiostar up and running in some time. :roll:

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Oh wow Ken, great images !
I dont think Ive ever come across water mites before. I have viewed (and drawn) dust mites in the past tho, they look very similar.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Cyclops, yeah mites are pretty much mites, though there are some differences if one looks closely. These were in an old aquarium that I had dismantled and failed to empty. Though there might be something good in that putrid water but all it turned up was this mite and one other, third image. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very clear images. Care to comment on what any of the structures are? Those two "side pockets" in the third picture look air-filled.

--Rik

Bill D

Post by Bill D »

Ken, these are beautiful!
Bill

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Rik replied:
Care to comment on what any of the structures are? Those two "side pockets" in the third picture look air-filled.
I don't much about mites, maybe I should have researched them a little before posting so as to give a description that would bring out the characteristics of the anatomy. I would assume that, the structure of round chambers, right of center in the second image, are air sacs and the same goes for the pale lime green ones in the third, also in the second I would also assume that the opening shown (posterior) in the upper left corner would be that of the anus. The third image is that of a different mite that was near the one presented in the first and second images, I focused mainly on the surface to show the texture or make up, of the mites exoskeleton.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Looks as though we posted at the same time Bill, thanks. I have another of a similar mite taken using the darkfield technique. You can see it here :D

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Very nice images Ken. Could you see eyes on your specimen?

Walt

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I am not sure if these are photo-receptors or eyes but looking at the head in the first image, you will notice that it is cone shaped, at the base of the cone, one on each side, there are two oval shaped spots. I am assuming that these are photo-receptors of some sort. Thanks Walt :D

Bill D

Post by Bill D »

The dark field image of the mite is just stunning!
Bill

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Bill D wrote:The dark field image of the mite is just stunning!
I second that!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Intriguing series of photographs Ken - interesting body shape for a mite too. I particularly like pic2 - pin sharp and lots of interesting anatomical detail. I like pic3 as well ...er and pic1 :D

Excellent photos!

Bruce

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Interesting (and clear) images, Ken - well done :)
My favourite is def. #2 ... with a bit of imagination it could just about be anything - esp. if cropped to remove bg.

I can think of quite a few ppl who'd give their right arm for a 'texture' like this :)

(what was the mag / field width on this pic, btw?)

pp

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Super photos Ken...We want lots more!!!!
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks for all of your comments guys, they are greatly appreciated. :D In response to puzzledpauls question, I am not very good with numbers or math, that's why I exclude scale bars, though I have read Charlies post several times on them :-k . The first image is at 100X, a Zeiss 10X CP Achromat NA 0.25, the last two at 400X, a Zeiss 40X CP Achromat also, NA 0.65. These mites are just barely visible to the naked eye and really you would not notice them unless they moved. Thinking back, I should have placed these under darkfield also but it never occured to me at the time. I have been away doing macro so much that I rarely get around to my scopes as much anymore but with winter almost here, I am thinking that will all change...for a while anyway. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic