RMS Extender Tube / Fiber Optic Ringlight

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

augusthouse

RMS Extender Tube / Fiber Optic Ringlight

Post by augusthouse »

Is anyone aware of a similar/alternative product to the Rolyn Optics Extender Tube, for use with RMS threads?

I've emailed Rolyn for a shipping quote; but sometimes companies need to do a ton of paperwork when shipping something OS...so I expect the shipping cost to Australia may be rather high.

http://rolynoptics.thomasnet.com/viewit ... ender-tube

Craig

*edit: adjusted title to include ringlight aspect
Last edited by augusthouse on Wed May 05, 2010 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

elf

Post by elf »

morfa

Re: RMS Extender Tube

Post by morfa »

There is an eBay store with similar tubes. The store is are called MOTechnology and they sell their tubes as "Stackable lens tubes".

They are not RMS but 1" so you'll need a set of adapters (Nikon BD lenses fits perfectly in these 1" tubes though). The same store has 1"<->RMS adapters but they are not very cheap so depending on the number of tubes you need (and weather or not you want to use BD lenses) it may not be a better deal than the one you referred to.

I feel I should mention that my one experience with this seller was not exactly friction free. I was sent the wrong item twice which ended up costing me time, effort and money. In the end I got what I ordered.

PauloM

Re: RMS Extender Tube

Post by PauloM »

morfa wrote:I feel I should mention that my one experience with this seller was not exactly friction free. I was sent the wrong item twice which ended up costing me time, effort and money. In the end I got what I ordered.
Morfa, while I am in no way doubting your unpleasant experience, I also bought a couple of adapters from that seller and have no complaints.

In fact, I placed an order for one item, and a few hours later I realized that I also wanted another. Seller was kind enough to offer free shipping on the second item. (Not that it would have cost him any extra money, given the size of these adapters, but still, he could have charged me something and didn't).

His prices aren't cheap, but until the Chinese start offering adapters with these odd thread sizes, they're about as low as you can get.
All in all, I'm glad I finally have a proper RMS->BD adapter.

morfa

Post by morfa »

Good, thanks for sharing PauloM! From now on, that makes me more comfortable referring others to them!

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Thanks for the input :)

Rolyn Optics have replied. Shipping to Australia USD$90.00 via UPS + total of order ($82.00). As expected the shipping cost is too expensive. :(

I'm attempting to add an extra 25mm to 50mm (approx.) to the end of a coned Beljan RMS to T-mount adapter. The reason for doing this, is to attach a FO ringlight (ID 1.3") with sufficient distance from the ringlight to the hemispherical ping-pong ball diffuser in order to bathe the diffuser in light as outlined in Charlie's post:
The position of the ringlight was such that it bathed nearly the entire outer surface of the ping-pong hemisphere in a very even light, 360 degrees around.
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=9091

Here is the ringlight (ID 1.3") I'm working with, chosen because it attaches to microscope objectives nicely. Maybe I should have gone with a 2.6" ID ringlight??

At present, I am not achieving a very even light over the diffuser surface, just a 360 degree, hard-edged ringlight around the top portion of the ping pong ball hemisphere:

Craig

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Here is a 50% crop of an image using this light guide and a white cylindrical diffuser wrapped around the objective.

10 micron steps, normally for this objective I would use 5 micron. Noise Reduction applied in post.

Canon 50D, Nikon 10X M Plan MI Microscope Objective @ 210, FO ringlight illumination. (stacked in Zerene Stacker)

Here is the full frame for reference.

Craig

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Craig,

Try here:
http://rafcamera.com/microscopes-access ... 31_57.html

He only shows the 12mm, so you would need 2 or more, but the shipping will be far, far less!

I've bought a few things here with no problems. (He's on eBay as well)

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Thanks for the link Charlie.

Craig

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Here's another image.

This one was taken with a Nikon M Plan 20/0.4 ELWD 210/0 using the same lighting and diffuser for previous image. Slices for this one were 2 micron.

Canon 50D, Nikon 20X M Plan ELWD Microscope Objective @ 210, FO ringlight illumination. (stacked in Zerene Stacker)

The inconsistent dark banding on the crest of the scale curve - is that the shadow of the objective?

Craig

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

augusthouse wrote:The inconsistent dark banding on the crest of the scale curve - is that the shadow of the objective?
I would guess yes. Notice that it does not appear on the ones obviously canted sideways.

--Rik

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

This italian seller also list 12mm RMS extenders, and I belive he his the maker and can make another lenghs upon request:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tubo-prolunga-paraf ... 5884891a74
Pau

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Pau,

Thankyou for the link to the RMS extenders.

A few years ago I purchased my first RMS to T Mount adapter from the seller in Italy to which your hyperlink is associated.

Rik wrote:
I would guess yes. Notice that it does not appear on the ones obviously canted sideways.
Yes, have taken note of that; will need to work with the banding and individual specimen characteristics.

After some more experimenting and a couple of PMs to Charlie, I purchased a ringlight with an internal diameter of 2.6" on eBay.

It is positioned independently (which eliminates the need for RMS extenders) approx. 25mm above the tip of the objective - the ping pong ball hemisphere is now 'bathed' with light 360 degrees.

Fiber Optic Ringlight with 2.6" Internal diameter.

Craig

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Here are a selection of shots using the ringlight 2.6" ID in previous post.

The diffuser, in this case, was a cone made from white cardstock as described here.

These first two are single shots. I was curious to examine the illumination with various samples before slowing down to do some stacks.

Just experimenting with illumination and diffusers.

Canon 50D, Nikon 20X M Plan ELWD Microscope Objective @ 210, FO ringlight illumination. Single image, uncropped.

Canon 50D, Nikon 20X M Plan ELWD Microscope Objective @ 210, FO ringlight illumination. Single image, uncropped.

The setup shot below should provide an indication of the ringlight size and placement.

The cable and ringlight is supported at two points. The cable is attached to an old desktop lamp arm. The second point of support is a Flexbar magnetic-base with flexible arm.

When the illuminator is switched on, the whole surface of the diffuser cone is bathed in light.

The diffuser cone is attached to the objective by a push/fit method.

Canon 50D, Nikon 20X M Plan ELWD Microscope Objective @ 210, FO ringlight illumination. Stacked in Zerene Stacker.

Craig

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

It's interesting to coppare that with a similar subject, same lens though a poor version, here:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 9287#59287
The lighting for that was a single flash, camera mounted, with paper reflectors.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic