contracted lacrymaria

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

discomorphella

contracted lacrymaria

Post by discomorphella »

I was trying to fix the critter in an extended state, but it ended up contracted despite being rapidly bathed in fixative. I think my efforts to get flash / DSLR working will be a better use of my time than trying to creatively kill protozoa before they know what hit them. I thought it was still a good demonstration of what you can do with oblique illiumination however, so here's a thanksgiving lacrymaria...
Optics:
Orthoplan
Koehler / ~0.45 coverage oblique
Leitz Pl Apo 63X / 0.95 NA
Periplan GW HP 10X used as relay
Kodak DX4350 set at inifinity

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

--David

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I would say the lighting worked out very well David. Lots of nice detail in the specimen :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

A very good and unusual shot here :D . You usually don't see them like that too much. Not trying to be cute but it must be cold outside. :roll:

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

Hi Ken---
LOL, its definitely cold here in the NW...(are you suggesting the Lacrymaria has a case of "surf proboscis"?)...but in this case it's not cold but all the nasty things I was doing to the beastie that made it contract and stay that way...shortly after this picture the Lacrymaria disintegrated. With all the rain we've been having hopefully I'll find some more to look at, my hill is becoming one vast pond.

--David

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Hi David...
my hill is becoming one vast pond.
Better dig out your ice-skates for Monday and Tuesday!

Great example of the effectiveness of oblique. Odd how the manufacturers pretty much ignore it for compound scopes, but make it a selling point for some of their stereo microscopes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic