Help optimising cheap setup

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bugbear

Post by bugbear »

It appears that I am in a challenging field!

It was a lot easier getting a "convincing" image of the feather than the knife edge I actually wish to photograph.

BugBear

bugbear

Post by bugbear »

ChrisR wrote:Rather than all that Benbo leggery, you might consider a smaller support.
I've considered that - I used the Benbo because I've always used the Benbo. I shoot using that rig quite often, using it for books and pamphlets, and for some handtools (an interest of mine) laid flat (e.g. saws, hammers).

I've even shot a large antique map, using the Benbo looking down onto the floor with a long focal length and a panoramic head to get high resolution by tessalation.

(yeah, I like messing about with cameras!)

One difficulty with a small support is that the subject is quite large. Well, the subject is small, of course, but it's part of a quite large object.

BugBear

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

See also http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=1064, showing a sanded metal cross-section of the rolled seam on a can.

The biggest "trick" I know for shooting shiny metal surfaces is just to be aware that the angle and harshness of light is all-important.

The only way that I've ever gotten lights to do exactly what I wanted is by trial and error.

Fly them around while watching the back of the camera.

If your camera will put its image on a TV in real time, try that. It may be easier to fly the lights and evaluate the image at the same time on a bigger screen.

--Rik

bugbear

Post by bugbear »

Can I just express my gratitude to the people of this forum, for giving this cheap skate novice so much help and advice.

Especially Rik.

It appears that to "just" photograph my knife edge is in fact a difficult task, since I require quite a large DOF, high magnification, and critical lighting.

So I may have bitten off a little more than I can chew - although the initial gratification of the shots I *can* get with just an old lens reversed onto my Canon compact is superb.

Thanks to all - best wishes in your hobby!

BugBear

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

bugbear, thank you for the kind words.

About your knife problem, I think you're closer than you do.

Looking back at your image of the knife, I can clearly see all of the aspects that I would consider important about sharpening a knife. Granted, the image might not be as good as a perfectionist would like. But to my eye, the information revealed by your image is close if not identical to what would be revealed by a perfect image.

I hope you're going to keep working on this problem. Please post out whatever progress you make.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic