Beyond 10x, below 40x

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Beyond 10x, below 40x

Post by NikonUser »

Nikon's CF objectives are versatile lenses that can be used at other than their designed tube length (and thus, magnification).

Beyond 10x
The 10x Nikon CF N Plan Achromat microscope objective can be 'pushed' to at least 20.3x (on a 23.6mm sensor). This 0.7mm long Closterium (a Desmid) was taken at full bellows extension + lens mount; horizontal FOV=1.16mm; 24 frames @ 0.002mm ZS PMax stack.
NU09237

Below 40x
Compare the image from the 10x objective with the one taken with a Nikon CF M plan 40x SLWD at minimun bellows extension to give 24.4x magnification.
HERE

Both lenses perform well beyond their 'optimum' magnifications
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Fascinating, and a nice image right at the 'wouldn't it be better to do it with a microscope' transition point.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I guess I would have got a 'better' image with a microscope; but not having a microscope I have to compromise with a camera, bellows and microscope objective.
NU.
student of entomology
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

How about stitching the two images together - left half 10x, right half 40x - it would make it easier to compare the two ?

Andrew

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I thought about that. My point was to show that these 2 objectives can be used at magnifications way beyond their deginated magnifications. I didn't want to make a statement regarding whether the 40x at lower mag is better/worse than the 10x at a higher mag. That's one reason for not having both images in the same forum.
I thought both lenses did a splendid job; the most important factor was the lighting. Because I use flash it is not possible to get identical lighting between series of frames. So a direct side-by-side comparison of the 2 images would reflect differences in lighting rather than differences between the optics.
NU.
student of entomology

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

NikonUser wrote:I thought about that. My point was to show that these 2 objectives can be used at magnifications way beyond their deginated magnifications. I didn't want to make a statement regarding whether the 40x at lower mag is better/worse than the 10x at a higher mag. That's one reason for not having both images in the same forum.
I thought both lenses did a splendid job; the most important factor was the lighting. Because I use flash it is not possible to get identical lighting between series of frames. So a direct side-by-side comparison of the 2 images would reflect differences in lighting rather than differences between the optics.
Fair enough.

Andrew

PauloM

Post by PauloM »

Splendid images. :smt023

I can't help wondering how a M Plan 20x (E|S)LWD would compare, though.
Perhaps someone with access to all three lenses could make a comparison shot.
If the difference is imperceptible, then I can stop my search for the very elusive
and expensive 20x ELWD.

Cheers,

Paulo

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic