Mekon aphid

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LordV

Mekon aphid

Post by LordV »

You'd have to be a Dan Dare fan to understand the title :).

Not sure what this was doing on my rear car window but a shot of an aphid that has been parasitised by a wasp- the disc is the wasp's pupal case. Focus stacked using zerene stacker from 5 shots.

Brian v.

www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

Interesting, I've seen such discs attached to different creatures.

LordV

Post by LordV »

MarkB1 wrote:Interesting, I've seen such discs attached to different creatures.
Thanks mark :)
Must admit the first time I saw one of these I thought it was fungus fruiting body under the aphid.
Brian v.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Brian,

Great to see your excellent work posted here again!

I've never seen a "pupal case" like this before so I found this shot particularly interesting. My first impression was possibly a fungus as well. This "body snatching" is really macabre and fascinating. A couple years back I photographed some where the aphid body is "glued" to the leaf and the insect pupates inside the body... that was the only way I've seen it until this image of yours.

.... oh yes, thanks to the internet (and your reference) I now have some knowledge of old British sci-fi comics :wink:

LordV

Post by LordV »

Charles Krebs wrote:Brian,

Great to see your excellent work posted here again!

I've never seen a "pupal case" like this before so I found this shot particularly interesting. My first impression was possibly a fungus as well. This "body snatching" is really macabre and fascinating. A couple years back I photographed some where the aphid body is "glued" to the leaf and the insect pupates inside the body... that was the only way I've seen it until this image of yours.

.... oh yes, thanks to the internet (and your reference) I now have some knowledge of old British sci-fi comics :wink:
Thanks Charles for the comments :)
I've come to the conclusion after 4 years of macrophotography that everything seems to have it in for aphids.

Brian V.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic