Has anyone tried an Olympus 50mm F2.0 macro?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Has anyone tried an Olympus 50mm F2.0 macro?

Post by ChrisR »

It looks to be a goodie, but I'm not sure if it could be used at all on bellows?

OzRay

Re: Has anyone tried an Olympus 50mm F2.0 macro?

Post by OzRay »

ChrisR wrote:It looks to be a goodie, but I'm not sure if it could be used at all on bellows?
If you're referring to the 4/3s 50mm f2, it's an excellent lens, one of the best around; however, as Olympus made no bellows for it, you'd need an aftermarket one and there may be no adapters to allow you to fit the lens onto the bellows. Also, you will have to shoot fully open at all times, as there is no manual aperture control.

Cheers

Ray

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

That's the fellow.
I know there's no aperture ring, but how does the aperture get closed? Is it a mechanical sliding lever like older mounts, full aperture one end, smallest the other??
There are cheap Chinese extension tubes in 4/3rds mount.

elf

Post by elf »

The newer 4/3rds lens aperture can be set by removing the lens while the camera is still on and the aperture is closed. The OM lens is normally fully open and you'll need a mechanism to close it when it's time to trip the shutter.

I have a copy of the OM 50mm f1.8 that's rather soft wide open, but I got it from a dealer's junk bin where it was residing because the aperture return spring was soft.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

SO it isn't possile to alter the aperture by moving whatever's on the baclk of the lems?

elf

Post by elf »

The OM lens have fully manual apertures, but there's a lever on the back that must be moved to actually close down the aperture.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic