www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Mosquito eye
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mosquito eye

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Mosquito eye Reply with quote

Probably a female Culiseta annulata

First outing for my new M-Plan 20x, 250 slices at 3um steps

The thing is, have I done something horrible to it's head or should it look like this ? The subject was scooped off the ceiling and killed with ethyl acetate.

I'll collect another one tonight if they are around and stack that for comparison.

Edit: hmmm, I think this is a "mossie meets pillow and loses" picture - I'm just stacking the other side side of the head and you can see the damage there, I think its whole lower face has been collapsed in and backwards. When I collected it ,I smacked it off the ceiling with a pillow to kill it, it seemed relatively undamaged at the time, just stunned, so it got collected. Next time I'll be more careful ...
Planapo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I smacked it off the ceiling with a pillow to kill it

No wonder that this "mossie" looks like having had an accident. That's no state-of-the-art way for specimen collection, is it? Smile

Your newest acquisition seems to work flawlessly, though.

--Betty
Harold Gough

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mosquito eye Reply with quote

AndrewC wrote:

I smacked it off the ceiling with a pillow

You could refine your collecting equipment by using a duck-down pillow! Laughing

Harold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: