Wasp versus Spider

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

missgecko

Wasp versus Spider

Post by missgecko »

A wasp taking on a poor spider that was minding its own business in a tree (huntsman I think). Apparently they are parasitic wasps that paralyse the spider, lay its eggs on the host and when the wasp grubs hatch, they devour the still paralysed spider. It moved extremely fast along the ground dragging the spider along until it reached the fence, dragged it up the fence and then took off somewhere. I was scurrying along the ground snapping madly so it's a miracle I actually got one fairly clear shot.

Cheers
Sam

'To see a world in a grain of sand And heaven in a wild flower. Hold infinity in the palm of your hand And eternity in an hour.' William Blake

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This is an excellent shot, never mind the circumstances.

And I agree, getting it under the circumstances is nothing short of miraculous.

At least the few times I've seen stuff like this, it was all over so quickly I could barely get my eyes focused, let alone a camera.

Nice job! :smt023

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Yay for the wasp! That is a great shot. :smt023

missgecko

Post by missgecko »

Thanks guys - it was reassuring to find that I can still move quite fast when I have to and this included racing back into the house to get my camera. :lol: I never knew wasps attacked spiders until this happened.

Cheers
Sam

'To see a world in a grain of sand And heaven in a wild flower. Hold infinity in the palm of your hand And eternity in an hour.' William Blake

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Excellent find and photo Missgecko. My neighbors often times stare at me like I am crazy as I run around the yard chasing unseen things in the yard and suddenly falling to the ground. We have a rather large orange and black wasp here in the Northeast USA (a thread-waisted wasp) which goes after rather large grasshoppers.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/414
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic