Ice drops (photo added)

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Ice drops (photo added)

Post by rjlittlefield »

Strange weather yesterday. It hailed, then the hail sort of melted, then it froze again overnight, now it's melting again. This is the result.

Even the "hail" wasn't normal. It was sort of like compressed snowballs, shaped like miniature Hershey's Kisses candies.

Field width as shown here about 2 inches, DOF about 5 inches.

--Rik

Technical: Canon 300D camera, Sigma 105 mm f/2.8 macro lens at f/11. ISO 100, 1/50 second. Stack of 14 images. Cropped to about 1/2 frame width to show detail.

Edited: To change title for second photo.
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I really don't know about such things but I might guess that the water may have froze at a much lower altitude on its way down, instead of freezing higher up. Beginning as drops of water but then freezing into the Hersheys Kisses looking drops somewhere along the way down. Wouldn't it be neat if it did hail real Hersheys Kisses, especailly those with almonds! :D

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Looks like something you'd put on cake, biscuits etc.. they look sugary and edible! :D
Very interesting.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks for the comments, Ken and Aynia. :D

It's now almost two days later, and there's still some of these "hail kisses" lying on the ground in the shade. Strange weather.

(Ah, that's what they always say! The really strange weather is when it's "completely normal". :lol: )

--Rik

Cyberspider

Post by Cyberspider »

nice finding Rik. I like this tone in tone. I think the weather is getting stranger in the future.

The ice drops look like people from the back sitting in front of a screen ;-)
best regards
Markus

SONY a6000, Sigma 150mm 2,8 Makro HSM, Extention Tubes, Raynox DCR-250

visit me on flickr

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Very strange Rik! almost looks like something man made from a distance!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks for the comments, folks!

Cyberspider, the color is just the way it looked. The OOF background is the main part of the deck. The ice is on a railing. It is all the same color. There was lots of this same ice all over the deck, but the railing was much easier to photograph! :)

Here is the full frame width. The macro lens was set on about 1:4, so about 90 mm along the railing. This photo is taken from a very low angle. The piece of railing shown in this picture is actually almost square.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic