Robber fly "head shot"

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Robber fly "head shot"

Post by Charles Krebs »

The last face a lot of small critters ever see! :shock:

Nikon D200. Reverse mounted Schneider Componon 28mm f4. 28 frames, stacked with Helicon Focus

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Can't say as which I like the best Charlie, your robber fly here or the skipper in your other post. Both leave nothing to be desired in my opinion. Wonderful and quite interesting images as usual, thanks Charlie :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Wonderful detail...as sharp as a Ginsu Knife...lighting is perfect. Super photo Charles :smt023
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Jody Melanson

Post by Jody Melanson »

Just stunning! The light, detail, this photo has it all! Once again I don't understand why hardly any responses.
Capturer of God's Creations.

There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

Right now, I can't see either picture. The place where Charles has it hosted is not responding.

Charles, you know you can upload the picture to this server right? I'd love to see these but can't. Can you upload them here instead?
Carl B. Constantine

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

<< I don't understand why hardly any responses >>

Well, I for one feel somewhat 'eulogistically challenged' when confronted by images of this quality - all that needs to be said probably already has been and people can get accustomed to such artistry that they don't expect any less from the individual(s) concerned - so excellence becomes the norm and therefore elicits little response?

That said, yes - a true 'Canon' pic - even tho' none of their kit sems to have been used in this partic. case.

Makes me wonder whether there's a case to be made for a separate section / forum just for stacked images - irrespective of the equipment used? (apologies if this has been raised before, btw)

pp

PeglegOS

Post by PeglegOS »

Jody Melanson wrote:Just stunning! The light, detail, this photo has it all! Once again I don't understand why hardly any responses.
We are just overwelmed with the stunning images. I for one just gaze at them for long periods. Striking...
Revelation III Compound
Nikon D50
Canon A10
Canon A1
Mamiya RB67 Pro

teva

Post by teva »

Yeah, those stacked images are just stunning.

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Superb! :shock: Are those little oval things, upon antennae, ocelli a simple eyes? This is one sentimental robber, he released tear drop on a left eye. 8)
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Smokedaddy

Re: Robber fly "head shot"

Post by Smokedaddy »

Charles Krebs wrote:The last face a lot of small critters ever see! :shock:

Nikon D200. Reverse mounted Schneider Componon 28mm f4. 28 frames, stacked with Helicon Focus
Woa,

Charles the image is absolutely amazing, to say the least. Mind telling me something about the setup and protocol or procedure you used? I know what stacking software is but only from an astrophotography video perspective. What is the purpose? I have never heard of a Reversed mounted Schneider either? Is that something Nikon specific?

-SD:

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Oops,

If you've addressed the questions I've asked before, a link would be appreciated.

-SD:

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Charles Krebs wrote:The last face a lot of small critters ever see! :shock:

Wow thats a stonker of a shot!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Smokedaddy wrote:Charles the image is absolutely amazing, to say the least. Mind telling me something about the setup and protocol or procedure you used? I know what stacking software is but only from an astrophotography video perspective. What is the purpose? I have never heard of a Reversed mounted Schneider either? Is that something Nikon specific?
Charlie does nice work, doesn't he? :roll: Hopefully he'll be around in a day or two to fill in the details, but in the meantime I can give some general answers to your technical questions.

In photomacrography and photomicrography, "stacking" is used to get extended depth of field. Each frame of the stack is focused at a different depth. Software like Helicon Focus lines up the frames, then makes a composite image by choosing pixels from the sharpest frame at each pixel position. See this article for an introduction to stacking in photomacrography.

The Schneider Componon is a darkroom enlarging lens. It is designed to work especially well at low magnifications, with the back of the lens nearest to whatever is being enlarged. "Reverse mounting" the lens just means to orient its backside facing away from the camera, placing that side nearest the subject as designed. This trick can be used with any SLR, with the appropriate adapter.

--Rik

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

SD,

There are two reasons for reversing lenses. A conventional camera lens (usually a fixed focal length standard lens) can be used like a multi-element supplementary close up lens by reversing it on other lenses using a coupling ring to join the two filter threads together.

Secondly, reversed lenses can be used direct on the camera or on bellows or tubes using a lens reversal adapter that has the lens filter thread on one side and the camera bayonet on the other. When you use a lens closer so that its film/sensor distance is greater than it's lens to subject distance you are moving from the parameters it was originally designed for. So put simply turning it round so the end designed to be close to the film/sensor now faces the nearer subject and the end that was designed originally to be further away from the subject faces the larger film/sensor distance tends to restore the optimisation of it's design.

See:-

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototip ... rsing.html

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/rev ... rings.html

Independent lens reversing rings are fairly cheap but makers are dearer:-

http://www.srb-griturn.com/index.php?cP ... dbd643876f

http://search.ebay.co.uk/lens-reversing ... QQfromZR40

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search. ... ling+rings

DaveW

acerola

Post by acerola »

I was not here for a time, but this picture alone worth to come back. I love your pictures, Astonishing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic