Dinosaurs (and other ancient critters) at the museum

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Dinosaurs (and other ancient critters) at the museum

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

A huge Tyrannosaurus greets us at the entrance....I can't help thinking of the old Calvin & Hobbes strips where Calvin would fantasize about the dinosaurs at the museum coming alive and stomping and devouring all the humans!

I don't really understand the fad for posing dinosaur skeletons as if they were frozen in action, but here we have an Allosaurous and a Stegosaurus battling it out. I had never known about the protective bony plates on the Stegosaur's throat.

I actually took some shots on this trip (to Colorado) that qualify for posting in the main forums, and some of those will go up soon.

Not dinosaurs, but a neat diorama of ancient seas. This is a scene from about 425 million years ago. The two big cephalopods are Kionoceras cancellatum.

This is an ancient mammal, a piglike carnivore (diorama, not bones!) known as an Entelodont. Species name is Dinohyus hollandi. This is Latin for "Terrible Hog of Holland! I assume that Holland is a paleontologist, rather than a reference to the Netherlands, as these creatures were found in North America about 30 million years ago!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I would like going to places like this, the last museum that I was in was in Delphi Greece and they would not allow photography. Looking at your photos of the dinosaurs really makes one think, sort of like what you mentioned in Calvin & Hobbes but not quite.

What ever the cause of their demise, be it a comet impact on our planet or otherwise, I am sort of glad that they are not around today, well at least the gigantic meat eaters anyway. That hog for some reason seems to have features much like a dog and I really don't think that it would make much of a ham sandwich but if one lived back then at the time they roamed the earth, I suppose they might would be tasty. You know one cannot help but to think about what really ever happened to most of these creatures. Some survived what ever cataclysm that came upon the earth but then some just disappeared altogether. :-k

Really an interesting post here Mike, thanks! :D

Erland R.N.

Post by Erland R.N. »

That is really interesting, especially the "big bone" dsiplays. I have only once seen big skeletons displayed, and that was two whales. But I would love to see some dinasaurs.
Knowledge of pre-historic earth is to me so facinating. I think it's brilliant that we live on a rock formed billions of years ago, spinning through space and time, producing life as we know it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic