Downloading helicon focus

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Graham Stabler

Downloading helicon focus

Post by Graham Stabler »

I was wondering if anyone else is having trouble downloading Helicon focus, I can't download it from work or home and Helicon were rather dismissive when I complained of a problem. I'm also now having trouble viewing the 3D anaglyphs.

Rik, perhaps you might delete this once resolved.

Graham

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

A few minutes ago I downloaded and upgraded to 4.62. It stacks OK, builds a rotating 3D model, and saves it as reg-green anaglyph. I suggest to try it again -- could be the problem went away already.

--Rik

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I was a "version" behind as well so I just downloaded 4.62... no problems.
Give it another try.

Graham Stabler

Post by Graham Stabler »

It is quite puzzling. I also got confirmation from another person who managed to download it.

It does not surprise me that I cannot download an exe from work, I work for a University but within a military college. However it didn't work at home either. A friend at Oxford Uni managed to download so it is not a UK specific thing. He has sent it to me so I am up and running now but it is quite confusing.

The problem with the anaglyph was viewing the examples from Charles online, only half the image appears.

What really got me was the response from Helicon, even giving me the same link I obviously just used. I'm a customer and don't enjoy being treated like an idiot.

Thanks for taking the time to test the download!!

Graham

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Graham,
As indicated earlier; I was also able to download without drama.
Just a suggestion, try 'right-clicking' the link and select 'save target as' (even temporarily rename the .exe file on save if necessary) or try an alternate browser. Let us know how you go.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Graham Stabler

Post by Graham Stabler »

I always "save target as" and did try it in three browsers. I use Chrome now and it can be a bit temperamental so it was the first thing I tried.

It seems as if it may be something to do with the way our PCs are set up at work because I just realizes when I tried it at home it was with the work laptop. When I just tried with my own it works. But it still does not make total sense as I have downloaded previous versions with no problem.

Graham

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Perhaps the latest version (through bad luck) contains some pattern of code that fits the signature of a virus? Or perhaps your work machines have some restrictions about what IP addresses they're willing to access, and the Helicon site fits a pattern that has now been banned?

--Rik

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Rik wrote:
perhaps your work machines have some restrictions
This appears to me to be the most likely factor given recent and ongoing 'cyber' activity.

I was talking to someone this morning about the need to brush-up on our Morse Code and smoke signal skills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_signal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic