Nikon Multiphot lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Nikon Multiphot lens

Post by NikonUser »

Nikon 35mm f/4.5 Multiphot lens on e bay, currently at $725.00. A bit too rich for me; ends today.
HERE

EDIT: sold for US$860.00
Last edited by NikonUser on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

I was watching that as well. Hope the winner actually uses it for something, and it makes a difference .... mind you, you get the BR-16 for free so it must be a bargain !

Hokan

Nikon Multiphot lens

Post by Hokan »

From my perspective. For the outrageous prices paid for Nikon Multiphot Lenses you would think that we would eventually see some photomacrography photos posted to match the prices paid for these lenses.

Disclaimer. I am just as guilty as I have not taken the time to use my Multiphot lenses enough to post anything of worth. But the selling prices on these lenses are now so high I could not afford to purchase the lenses I acquired a number of years ago.

I find it hard to understand why the prices keep going up when I have as yet to see any factual data, comparisons, reviews, etc. addressing the "quality and beauty" of images these lenses supposedly produce.

:?

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

I can't see the point of spending that much on a lens of that specification when you could get the f2.8 Oly for less - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0302362681

Edited to add: And I think that Oly is a bit overpriced!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

lauriek wrote:And I think that Oly is a bit overpriced!
It's definitely more than I paid. Kind of reassuring to know that once in a while I don't end up paying top dollar for something!

--Rik

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

It would seem that these are now in the realm of "collectibles", hence the prices they fetch. The listing mentions 12X and 4x5 coverage. Well if the purchaser is going to get high quality results they better be shooting 4x5".

Don't get me wrong... I'm sure it is spectacular optically, and I'd love to have one but...

... at 12X the effective (maximum) aperture becomes f58.6! OK for 4x5", and maybe acceptable down to about 6x7cm. But on 35mm film or digital camera sensors, your prints will look like mush. For good results on a 24x36mm sensor (or piece of film) a lens with a (marked) maximum aperture of f4.5 can't really be used beyond about 6x, regardless of it's quality.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic