Cyclamen Flower

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

Cyclamen Flower

Post by Cyclops »

Its just beginning to bloom again after its summer rest.

Took me ages to clean up the dust spots. Funny thing is i only get these dust sp;ots when using the macro lens! I put the 19-35 zoom on, nothing, clean as a whistle.
I have noticed a lot of dust inside the lens itself, and i can only think the dust is being projected as out of focus blobs!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Larry,
Funny thing is i only get these dust spots when using the macro lens!
Try a microscope! ](*,) :smt010

What you are experiencing is most likely the effect of using small apertures. The shadow of dust on the sensor becomes visible and much more noticeable. If you take your 100mm outside and shoot a picture at f5.6 there will likely be little dust seen in the picture. And if you put on your 19-35, stop it down all the way and take a picture of the blank sky there will suddenly be plenty of noticeable spots.

Welcome to the brave new world of DSLR sensor cleaning! :shock:

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Cure the problem permanently: Use a film camera.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Charles Krebs wrote:Larry,
Funny thing is i only get these dust spots when using the macro lens!
Try a microscope! ](*,) :smt010

What you are experiencing is most likely the effect of using small apertures. The shadow of dust on the sensor becomes visible and much more noticeable. If you take your 100mm outside and shoot a picture at f5.6 there will likely be little dust seen in the picture. And if you put on your 19-35, stop it down all the way and take a picture of the blank sky there will suddenly be plenty of noticeable spots.

Welcome to the brave new world of DSLR sensor cleaning! :shock:
Ah no its definitely the lens! I've used it wide and got dust spots but if I use any other lens stopped down,no dust!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Harold Gough wrote:Cure the problem permanently: Use a film camera.

Harold
I do use film too but i have a backlog waiting processing. But also there's another problem. My lab has gone lousy for film. The negs are poorly scanned with dust and misalignement and excessive grain. They don't care about film anymore,the work is rushed and over priced. I could use an online source but like I say i have about 5 films awaiting processing and am a bit short of cash at the mo.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I use E6 ISO 100 reversal and Lab35 Imaging for processing. I never use print film for my own purposes.

Harold

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Can't be doing with slide film! Have used it in the past but having no scanner or loads of money I preferred film. More latitude too. I just wish digi had come sooner!

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Print film has greater latitude for exposure but only at the cost of its range of contrast, much as in even the best of the earlier digital sensors. It is no coincidence that only transparencies were accepted for publication in the pre-digital age.

Besides, if I (extremely rarely) want a (reversal) print, I can see what the finished picture will look like in advance, rather than struggling with the complementary colours or keeping contact prints stored alongside the negatives.

Harold

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Each to their own I suppose, but one day there'll be no film at all and we'll all be digital with 100MP full frame sensors along with large format Lief sensors for studio work-fabulous!

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I have noticed a lot of dust inside the lens itself
Ah no its definitely the lens! I've used it wide and got dust spots but if I use any other lens stopped down,no dust!
Wow... if that's true that lens must have some real blobs inside!

Not that I don't believe what you are saying Larry :wink: ... but humor me here.... (I really am curious about this)

I would love to see an example. Take the 100mm outside, focus at "infinity" and take a shot of clear sky at f4 or f5.6. Then put on your wide zoom, stop it down all the way (f16, f22) and also take a shot of clear sky. Post the two (uncropped, but resized) images.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic