Need help with focusing problem

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MacroMike

Need help with focusing problem

Post by MacroMike »

Hello all. I've been out of photography for quite a while, but lately have been blowing the dust off my equipment and finding the time to get back in to it.

For those of you that don't remember me, I'm the one that ships you the monthly awards.

I'm having image capturing problems and need some advise.

After attaching my old Canon EOS 100mm macro lens to my new 50D, the sharpness of detail that I see when manually focusing and using the magnified frame feature in the live view mode is not even close to what I see when reviewing the image.

I've tried focusing above and below the desired point of focus, but it makes no difference. I'm also using a tripod, a remote control switch cable, 1/250 shutter speed and F32 aperture with flash.

Could it be a problem with the old lens, the new camera or the communication between both?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mike,

This is a puzzling problem. I don't have a clue what's going wrong, but let me ask a couple of silly questions...

Does the camera work as expected with other lenses, in the same mode? That is, if you set for manual focus with an ordinary lens, do you see the same thing in magnified live view that you see in the captured image?

What exactly is it that you see different in the live view and captured image? Does the live view look good, but the captured image looks fuzzy?

Have you tried a range of aperture settings? If you're working at 1:1 and a marked f/32, then the captured image is always going to look fuzzy because of diffraction blur. See http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=3150 for illustration. If you open up to f/8 or so, things should get sharp.

Looking forward to more info...

--Rik

MacroMike

Post by MacroMike »

Thanks Rik, that did the trick.

Man, I'm rusty at this! What's that saying about riding a bicycle? Well it doesn't quite apply to photography.

Several years ago when I was in the groove, I had a penchant for high magnification macro - dragonfly faces and such. I used various combinations of lenses, extension tubes, extenders and diopters, but my favorite was a 28mm-135mm lens in reverse as an up to 7x macro zoom. Sort of like an MP-E 65mm 1-5x macro lens. So more often than not I had to shoot at very small apertures.

Now for the next bit of help - new inquiry posted in this forum.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic