Bring flowers to your own funeral!

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jlkramer

Post by jlkramer »

beetleman wrote:WOW :shock: an Incredible find Jim. Cordyceps all the way. just look at those cold dead eyes. Just imagine the brain being eaten away by a fungus. The yellow section looks fresh :roll:. I have had no luck this year finding any specimens of Cordyceps :cry:
I’ve kept the spider and am watching the fungus progress. It seems to have started at the rear and is working its way forward from the way the white filament mass is spreading.

Is it going to infect the eye? A shot of the fruiting body popping out through the eye, just might be the inspiration for a new horror movie.
:wink:
-Jim

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

jlkramer wrote:
But now I have to risk looking foolish and ask what TED is?
Technology, Entertainment and Design (TED). A very informative website with video lectures from its guest speakers. Google: www.ted.com :D

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Ken Ramos wrote:You know I saw a talk on TED , where this guy had developed a pesticide using fungi. Seems he completely eliminated the carpenter ants that were infesting his home by infecting them with spores and they never came back, the ants that is. :D
If you Google "Biological control, using fungal pathogens" you will see how much has been done using fungi against pests.

Bacteria have also been used, Bacillus thuringiensis, in particular, is a specific against Lepidoptera, so much so that it can be used inside occuppied behives.

Harold
Last edited by Harold Gough on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

E. O. Wilson is probably having nightmares about all the tools both man made and natural, that men have come up with to kill or should I say control insects. :-k

jlkramer

Post by jlkramer »

Over at Bugguide.net someone linked this vid in the thread about my fungus spider. Very interesting, even if pixelated. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCOQ0VU24xw

-Jim

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Now fungi help in chemical warfare against pests:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 213545.htm

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic