Scope Questions

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Scope Questions

Post by NikonUser »

Can anyone give me information on this 'scope; bought used in London in the mid 1950's?
Base engraved C. BAKER 244 HIGH HOLBORN LONDON and 6180 on the vertical back of base. I suspect the objectives are not the originals.

Is it possible to use a 'scope such as this for photography? If so, what would I need to attach a camera (my wife's Canon P&S) to it?
I have a decent 10x Nikon objective as well all those on the 'scope.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

NU,

Can't tell you much about the particular scope. But if it uses the standard RMS thead you can attach your "decent 10x Nikon objective" and use it. If you do that, it would be best to have a Nikon eyepiece that "matches" your objective ("CF" if the objective is a CF design; corrective if the objective pre-dates the CF series objectives).

In theory all you need to do is focus the microscope and then hold the camera up to the eyepiece (camera focus set at "infinity") to take a picture. This is generally referred to as the "afocal" method. The biggest problem that often arises it that the "eyepoint" of the eyepiece does not match well with the entrance pupil of the lens. In this case you will still be able to take a picture, but will experience vignetting to some degree. If the camera has a zoom capability there is usually a setting where this is minimized. (If possible, you also want to use a large camera aperture). If it is not an eyepiece/camera combo that others have reported using with success, you will just need to try it out. Often the smaller, simpler P&S lenses actually work better than the physically larger lenses with high zoom ranges.

If it works out, then you can get something like the "Orion SteadyPix" (or make your own custom mount) to hold the camera in the correct position.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Charles:
Thanks for replying. The scope has a RMS thread. My Nikon objective has a yellow ring, Plan 10/0.30 160/0.17. As it "works" OK on a bellows I assume it does not need a corrective eyepiece (?).
I also have lower quality 20x, 40x and an oil immersion lens.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic