Embryonic

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

Embryonic

Post by Cyclops »

I'm on an embryonic plant part kick at the moment-they are fascinating up this close!

First a tiny emerging leaf of a Schlumbergera Christmas Cactus:

Next a new unfurling leaf of Peperomia

Finally a tiny developing flower bud of a Haworthia truncata:
(I cheated a little on this as its cropped to give extra magnification, but the file size means it can take it without loss of quality)

Oh in case your scratching your head over that last one, heres a link to what the plant looks like:
http://www.cactuslimon.com/images/Hawor ... uncata.JPG
Mines a little coloured by the sun

I'm loving playing with macro, can you tell!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I love those Haworthia plants. I have been thinking of getting a few and planting them with some of my lithops. That would make a strange pot of plants :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Growth of Haworthia species can be extremely slow.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Harold Gough wrote:Growth of Haworthia species can be extremely slow.

Harold
Yes especially this species. I've had it over 2 years and its hardly grown. Its known as a Window plant like Lithops in that in the wild only the top of the leaf would show above the soil to catch the light. The flower could take over a year to form.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

beetleman wrote:I love those Haworthia plants. I have been thinking of getting a few and planting them with some of my lithops. That would make a strange pot of plants :wink:
Hi Doug long time no see! I wouldn't recommend planting other plants with Lithops. They have such a low water requirement that literally a drop of water is all they need from october to march. The only time i water mine is when its hot and sunny. On cool cloudy days I don't touch it. Also if you have a Lithops be aware that when they form new leaves and the old ones shrivel do not give any water at all until those old leaves are completely gone as the plant is drawing the moisture it needs from them. Mine shrivels right up in the winter then come spring i give it a drop or sprinkling of water and it pops back to life again. Amazing plants!

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

While Cyclop's advice is the standard for Lithops, I tend to be rather careless when watering the cactus house where they live. They get many a splash during the summer and flower each autumn, having survive my regime for decades. So, while you should follow the standard advice, don't panic if they accidentally get water at other times.

Harold

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Oh my cacti and aloes often get a good drenching by mistake if we have a good downpour and the box theyre in leaks, but if that happened to a lithops, or this particular haworthia, it would be its undoing.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Second confession: My H. truncata has also survived waterings by hosepipe alongside my other non-cactus succulents, weekly or more frequently, for some 40 years and flowers each year. Again, not a recommendation.

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic