Butterfly

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jbailey

Butterfly

Post by Jbailey »

I found this beauty on Daisies in my back yard.

Jim

P_T

Post by P_T »

Oh look at that!! look like a pair of eyes don't they?

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

It is Milbert’s Tortoiseshell Nymphalis milberti

http://www.wisconsinbutterflies.org/but ... pecies/185

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Oh nice one,looks like our Large Tortoiseshell or as mom used to call them King George butterfly. Never knew why! And you did well with the exposure with all that white in the scene! Could easily have led to underexposure. Good one!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Good job there Jim, wing tip to wing tip. Nice work on the whites of the daisy too, I usually blow them all out. :D

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Cyclops wrote:Oh nice one,looks like our Large Tortoiseshell or as mom used to call them King George butterfly. Never knew why! And you did well with the exposure with all that white in the scene! Could easily have led to underexposure. Good one!
There seems to be some confusion of two species here.

The only image I have been able to link to "King George butterfly" is of the Red Admiral, which the Wisconsin species resembles. The Large Tortoiseshell is rather different and is extinct in the UK, although my Observer's Book of Butterflies (no publication date but purchased in 1960) describes it as "often common in the caterpillar stage" but goes on to describe how a very high percentage were killed by parasites, mainly the Braconid waspApanteles[/url].

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Thanks, all for the comments and ID info.

Ken:

I use the highlights function on my camera's LCD to avoid burnt out whites as much as possible. It sometimes takes several shots, as you well know.

That was a great year for seeing many butterflies and cooperative ones at that! This year was essentially a bust by comparison.

Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic