MP-E handheld test, flower bud and its tennant

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

P_T

MP-E handheld test, flower bud and its tennant

Post by P_T »

Just testing shooting handheld at nighttime with this lens. Pitch dark outside.
ISO800
f/4 @ 1/200s
Flash
No sharpening. As is.

Flower bud of an orange tree. Around x2.5 magnification.

And look who's hiding in the middle. Around x1.5 magnification. Some cropping on the image before resizing. It's actually smaller than those flower buds, maybe around 2mm.

nto

Post by nto »

Blurry management is better in the first picture, with bugs is not always possible to control blur, dalantech has good examples of control blur, light reflections add definition virtual,I think it is only way to manage full format at high magnification.
Antonio

P_T

Post by P_T »

grazie nto.

To take these shots, I put my left hand on my right shoulder and rested the camera on my left elbow. In the second shot, i had to get really close and my elbow kinda rustled the tree up a bit so I had to worry about two different movements, the branch and myself.

I guess I shouldn't have posted that spider one but it's just so cute hiding between those flower buds. :D

As for the lights, nothing I can do about that since I haven't gotten myself a proper off-camera or macro flash and diffuser. I just wrapped some paper towel on the built-in flash to make it a tad softer.

P_T

Post by P_T »

Second try at the tiny spider. This time at 2.5x magnification handheld.
ISO800
f/5.6 @ 1/200s
built in flash

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Is this a night shot also? It's very good in any case, but if it's a night shot then it's an impressive accomplishment. How do you see to focus?

--Rik

P_T

Post by P_T »

Thanks Rik. Yeah it's a night shot, not long after the Olympic opening ceremony finished, 3:12am Sydney time according to my camera's shooting info. :D

I held a torchlight at the bottom part of the tripod ring where you'd put the tripod clamp (since it's smaller than the lens diameter, my hand can hold other object easily), that's all. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic