Half Dragon, Half Crayfish

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Moebius

Half Dragon, Half Crayfish

Post by Moebius »

Dragonfly getting eaten alive by hundreds of what I assume are mites. Reminds me of crawdads with the underside of their tail filled with eggs.

Ken

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

WOW... :shock: Excellent Photo Ken. Really interesting Find. They sure look like they are spreading the dragonfly`s abdomen in an un-natural way. Also looks like I see a few larger red ones. The more I look, the more it gives me the creeps :wink:. Did you notice the mites right out or when you viewed the pictures on the computer?
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Doug,

I did not notice until I viewed them in processing. He acted normal and healthy; had to chase him to get a pic.

Ken

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Hi Ken (good to see you back, it´s been a while :D ), looks like a really massive infection! Indeed, it reminds one of a crayfish carrying its offspring. An interesting sight, nicely shot, though a bit yucky!
Do you happen to have a tighter close-up or crop of the dragonfly´s abdomen with the mites visible?

--Betty

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Nice shots :D but photos like this make me wanna "scratch" :lol: Glad we humans don't get such infestations but then again, there are some... :roll:

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

I will try to get a crop of the underside. Not sure how much definition there will be though.

Ken

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic