Myxomycete Stemonitis in the Spore Release Phase

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Walter Piorkowski

Myxomycete Stemonitis in the Spore Release Phase

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Image 1 – Matured cluster of Stemonitis, single image at f/22

Image 2 – Same subject shot as a stack, Combine ZP, Do Stack. Color in this image most closely matches the actual subject.

Image 3 –Same stack images as image 2 but processed in Combine ZP, Pyramid Do Stack

Image 1- 75mm Fujinon enlarger lens reversed lens at f/22, 45mm tube
Horizontal F.O.V. 28 mm
Single image
Diffused fiber optic illumination

Image 2 and 3
Horizontal F.O.V. 28 mm
Image stack, 144 images at .0025 inch increments
Diffused fiber optic illumination

Canon 10D
Combine ZP and Photoshop processing.

This transformation from my previous post of Stemonitis is the result, 24 –36 hours after emergence. The myxomycete is ready for spore dispersal. All the jelly like, near transparent, material has changed into tens of thousands of spores temporarily trapped in a surface net supporting the exterior of this columnar structure.

I do not normally post heavily f/ stopped images of these subjects preferring to use stacking to provide greater depth of field and resolution. I however was not happy with the stacking results. I include them for a educational perspective so that those people like Rik can see how certain subjects respond to the stacking process. If this type of thing should go into the technical discussions forum I will put them there in the future.

Walt

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Picture two is by far the best of the three. The true color is very important scientificly. It just looks like some of the black stalks got washed out on the right bunch, other than that it matches the un stacked photo pretty well IMO. Great followup Walter.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Seems as though something went wrong in the stacking there Walt, dunno what though, since I do not stack myself. :-k Yes, photo number two does depict them more in their natural color. They are still wet form the slime sheath though, I think, and will soon fan out into nodding individuals in a short period of time. Amazing how all that protoplasm rises up into these things. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic