Wasp Shot

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Hatch1921

Wasp Shot

Post by Hatch1921 »

I found a very nice flower patch today but the wind was blowing so bad I didn't have very many shots turn out. I liked this shot out of all of them the best.

Canon 20D
Canon 100mm macro
12mm extension tube
Canon 1.4xTC

Thanks for looking.
Hatch

Original Size which I posted....
http://static.flickr.com/81/262556802_9d404c5cba_o.jpg

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

That is one beautiful Wasp Hatch, Nice job. These wasps do not like to stay in one place too long and I am sure he was not their looking for nectar. These usually like to hunt spiders or hoppers or caterpillers (live food) :smt023
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Hatch1921

Post by Hatch1921 »

Many thanks Beetleman. I was lucky to get this shot. The wasp was moving like mad... the wind was blowing and I couldn't keep still LOL. Thanks again for the comments. Hatch

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Very nice photograph there Hatch. Good even DOF and the color is very well balanced out, nice work. :D

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

Nice Ammophila, They are indeed fast and nervous wasps, you did well to catch this one. The adults typically feed on nectar and some juices from insects but they are effcient predators when stocking their burrows for the youngs These insects are really cool in that they actively use "tools" when sealing their burrows. I was watching one once sealing its burrow and one of the last things it did was to pick up a pebble and tamp the soil down over the sealed hole in the ground. Too cool. The plant looks like Verbenia.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

The intelligence of some insects are absolutely amazing. I would like to have seen that. It makes me wonder, however, how many times I have observed something similar or maybe something quite unique in the world of insects and other organisms and have totally overlooked such activity or maybe even not really made an observation at all. People are reaching to the stars these days and there is still so much to be seen here on earth. It’s a pity. :|

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Is that one of those Ichneumon wasps? Very cool shot!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic