Zeiss Microscope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LSRasmussen

Zeiss Microscope

Post by LSRasmussen »

Hello All,

I have the option of buying this used microscope. I only know it's a Carl Zeiss model with 2 objectives (10x & 40x) and 8x eyepieces. Does anybody know the model (I've googled but not been able to find any info) and if it's a good entry level scope ? I know that Carl Zeiss has a good reputation, so I guess it should be ok. The price asked is reasonable (I think !) - about 220 GBP.

Also, considering stacking, would the objectives on this microscope be usable ?

//Lars

Perl

Post by Perl »

Hi Lars !

Well , its a standard Zeiss Microscope , will work fine i guess
but £220 sounds to much im sure you will get it on ebay
for £100 (with 2 objectives)

Spec of objectives will impact on price , but i asume there was
standard acromats on this microscope

Regards
Pär Lundqvist
Sweden
****** Seeing is Believing ******

LSRasmussen

Post by LSRasmussen »

Thanks Pär,

I'll try to haggle a bit with the seller. I'm new to microscopy so I have no clear idea as to the pricing of the old gear. It does however seem cheap to me if you can get Zeiss equipment for that kind of money. I've always perceived Zeiss as being top of the range. Anyway, one of my hopes was to use the 10x objective for stacking, but as you say I need more info as to what type it is. I'll get back here once I know.

//Lars

Perl

Post by Perl »

Hi Lars !

Take a look at ebay and see how much
microscope you will get for $ 500

In Quality i keep Leitz higher than Zeiss
(no delaminated optics , and feel better)

But this depend of who you asked

Regards
Pär Lundqvist
Sweden
****** Seeing is Believing ******

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

This looks like a GFL (or similar). Check that the fine focus is OK, because this is a weak point on this type of stand. I have had two of these and both had damaged pinions and had worn sextants in the fine focus train - my dad cut new pinions and cleaned up the sextants, but unless you have serious engineering facilities and are used to very fine work....

Having said that, the fine focus when working is excellent, and I have used a GFL to succesfully prepare stacks at both low and high (oil immersion) magnifications. The price looks a little high for a stand with only two objectives and no trinocular head. With these fittings present and a decent substage you can pay around £400, but I think this may be a lower grade model than the GFL (but very similar and with the same focus arrangements).

Hope this helps.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

LSRasmussen

Post by LSRasmussen »

Graham,

Thanks for pointing out the GFL designation - Using that and Google I managed to identify the microscope as a Standard Junior KF 124-212. It seems to be a simpler version of the Standard GFL.

//Lars

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

I sold a much nicer example than that one for $250 a couple of years ago.
Mine had a chrome plated,, and engraved with focus depth gradations,, fine focus knob. (Coarse focus chrome plated too. ) It had a mechnical stage, a quad nosepiece with four achromats (4 10 40 100 ), and 12.5 x pinhole FN compensating oculars. I got tired of being out bid on ebay for trinocs for it.

I had a new one which I bought right and then couldnt wait to sell to a vet after I discovered "Made in Mexico" silk screened on the stand. I think the optics were probably from Germany. It did have pretty viewing.

But I agree with Par. I like Leitz scopes better. Probably just a personal preference too following from the fact that the scopes I have actually used tended to be Leitz.

I also agree with Par that the price is way too high. If you do haggle him down make certain of the condition of the fine focus. The scope pictured looks old enough to be suffering from geriatric problems.
Gene

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic