Speckled Wood for Aynia

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Speckled Wood for Aynia

Post by gpmatthews »

Aynia, you metioned Speckled Wood - here is one photographed at my local nature reserve recently (04 May).
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

This species is more widespread than it used to be. It is now resident in my garden, which has some native trees and shrubs and backs onto farmland.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Oh wow. I do love butterflies. :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Seems I may have seen these before. Nice details in this Graham, the wings of butterflies are really hard to photograph sometimes. :D

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Nice capture!

I've noticed something weird about specked woods (which seem very common round my way) - they are the only insect I know of which always flies away when you take a picture of them with flash. They don't seem to like the sudden flash light. I've managed several shots without flash but if I ever try to shoot one with flash the butterfly has usually started to take off by the time the picture is taken (probably due to TTL preflash)...

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

lauriek wrote:Nice capture!

I've noticed something weird about specked woods (which seem very common round my way) - they are the only insect I know of which always flies away when you take a picture of them with flash. They don't seem to like the sudden flash light. I've managed several shots without flash but if I ever try to shoot one with flash the butterfly has usually started to take off by the time the picture is taken (probably due to TTL preflash)...
Have you checked this out with other woodland species, such as the Silver-Washed Fritillary or the Purple Emperor?

Harold

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Hi Harold,

I've not seen either of those species in the wild so I've no idea.. I suspect you are on the right lines though!

Funnily enough I was going to add a further comment to this thread, my previous comment was based on experience with a dozen or so of these butterflies over the last 2-3 years, normally in woodland. I found one in the garden yesterday in very bright sun, and it did not seem too bothered by the flash, it did fly off in the end but I think that was because I got a bit too close, but I mananaged several shots with flash and it was fine.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

lauriek wrote:Hi Harold,

I've not seen either of those species in the wild so I've no idea.. I suspect you are on the right lines though!

Funnily enough I was going to add a further comment to this thread, my previous comment was based on experience with a dozen or so of these butterflies over the last 2-3 years, normally in woodland. I found one in the garden yesterday in very bright sun, and it did not seem too bothered by the flash, it did fly off in the end but I think that was because I got a bit too close, but I mananaged several shots with flash and it was fine.
Acclimatisation or speciation?

Harold

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Acclimatisation would be my guess - would need further experimentation to be sure though!! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic