Night and Day - some of mine

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Aynia

Night and Day - some of mine

Post by Aynia »

These are some of mine from last year.

Deep Red - a poppy.
Olympus E500, 35mm macro lens,
F8, 1/100, ISO 400
No flash - LED Lenser torch

Angle Shades drinking wine and sugary goo.
F18, 1/160 sec, ISO 160
Onboard flash.

This one seems slightly 'off' in preview.
F11, 1/160 sec, ISO 320

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

I like the technique in the first two Aynia.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

The third one is really bright and glowing with the bright orange beetle but one and two, two being my favorite, are mystical in appearance I think. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

"Mystical", that's the word I was looking for! The first image has lovely colors and shapes that don't give away what the subject really is. Could be a flower petal, could be a spash of liquid, could be the swirling edge of a dancer's dress. Nice!

Second image, having the camera low and the flash even lower gives an interesting perspective. ("Onboard flash" -- so was the camera held upside down, or is this image flipped from real life?) I notice that the background fades very quickly to black. Is the moth perhaps on the edge of the bark, so we are seeing past it into the distance? You mention "drinking wine and sugary goo" -- is this poetic license, or has the bark been deliberately "sugared" to attract moths?

Third image, I'm not sure what you mean by "off". The colors look overall a bit orangish, perhaps, but I don't know what color they're supposed to be. The thing I notice is that the focus seems a bit soft overall, but I don't have any idea what's causing that. The camera settings look fine.

Nice images! :D

--Rik

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

rjlittlefield wrote: Second image, having the camera low and the flash even lower gives an interesting perspective. ("Onboard flash" -- so was the camera held upside down, or is this image flipped from real life?) I notice that the background fades very quickly to black. Is the moth perhaps on the edge of the bark, so we are seeing past it into the distance? You mention "drinking wine and sugary goo" -- is this poetic license, or has the bark been deliberately "sugared" to attract moths?

Third image, I'm not sure what you mean by "off". The colors look overall a bit orangish, perhaps, but I don't know what color they're supposed to be. The thing I notice is that the focus seems a bit soft overall, but I don't have any idea what's causing that. The camera settings look fine.

Nice images! :D

--Rik
I really must pay more attention to what I do! :D
The moth isn't flipped but sometimes I don't try for an angle, I just try and get the pic. He must have been facing up so the only way to get him was to hold the camera upside down, I guess.

The goo was my first and only attempt at wine roping, only I didn't have any rope. I boiled up some wine and sugar and soaked bits of socks in them to see what I could attract. Got lots of Large yellow underwings with their wings closed. This was the end bit of the mixture about a week later, so I put it on the yucca (which in this part of the world is normally a houseplant - but grew far too big for the house). I have a mad pic of the wine socks which I must dig out.

I thought the top bit of the beetle was a bit soft in terms of focus. Perhaps I just hadn't noticed before.

All my stuff is handheld as I don't do planning or patience very well. :roll:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic