Royal Gorge

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Royal Gorge

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I haven't felt like doing much photography in awhile, and until this past week, had only used my camera once since returning from Tunisia. But I visited a friend in Colorado last week and weekend, and visited some interesting areas around Colorado Springs, including Royal Gorge. This is formed by the Arkansas River, which also passes through Tulsa, Oklahoma where I grew up. In Tulsa, The Arkansas is a shallow muddy river you can wade across in the Summer. But in Colorado, it has carved a spectacular gorge through the mountains, and 1,054 feet above the River is the world's highest suspension bridge! I visited the bridge, and also road a sightseeing train on railroad tracks that pass through the gorge and close by the River.

Here we are approaching the bridge from below, and you can see that I am on a sightseeing train!

Here we are a little closer, and you can see the bridge better.

The river is popular with rafters and kayakers.....

And here's a view from up on the bridge....

The kayak shot was taken with an EOS 40D and 24-105 lens, other shots taken with an EOS 40D and 10-22 lens.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Pretty cool there Mike and some neat info on the bridge. I did not know that. I like sightseeing stuff and taking tours and such, sometimes you can learn a lot from those things if you have a knowledgeable guide and they can be a lot of fun. Thanks :D

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wow Mike...

...the US Southwest
...Italy, Slovenia
... Tunisia
... Colorado canyons

I think you qualify as an official "travel photographer"! :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic