Cork Head Ant

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

acerola

Cork Head Ant

Post by acerola »

I found a special ant today. It is Camponotus truncatus. It nests wood in small colonies. The queen and the mayors has a special head. They can block the small entrance with their head. When an ant from the colony arrives the mayor go back and let it enter. The enemies has a hard time to go in the colony. Unfortunately I did not find the nest entrance. It would be a hard job to make a picture from the entrance, but it could be a very unique picture.

This is the first time I found this ant. I collected a specimen to stack it later. :twisted:

[Edited] One more picture added.
Last edited by acerola on Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Péter

Michigan Michael

Post by Michigan Michael »

How interesting!

Erland R.N.

Post by Erland R.N. »

Very good pictures, like the first one most. An interesting adaption to that ants face. Never seen anything like this.

Erland

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Beats me too! :shock: That is unusual! :shock: Great images by the way. :smt023 I have never heard of nor seen such an ant. :D

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Very nice find and great pictures, better than those in Seifert´s book!

You know Péter, I was kinda waiting for you to post a picture of this famous species with the chances of encoutering it being much higher down in the South at your place.
I encountered C. truncatus the first time several years ago in a warm wine-growing area of Germany. A specimen of the major morph is in my collection and, of course, on the "to-be-stacked list" 8) :wink: .

--Betty :D

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Very interesting stuff, look forward to your stack!

Never heard of these before, I guess we don't get them in the UK?

First picture is really nice for an ant in the wild, I know how tricky they are! I'm assuming they are not HUGE ants?! ;)

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

An excellent find and beautiful pictures. I have seen these on a show I saw on the animal or Discover Channel TV. I found (not personally, in my book "Ants of North America") a species in the USA Camponotus (Colobopsis) obliquus a small species that forms small ardoreal colonies. Most common in the southeastern USA, it has the same plug shaped head...start looking Ken :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

acerola

Post by acerola »

Betty: My old dream was just to make a picture from them. It is really surprised me that I find it, and what surprises me more that I find it on the place I visit 5-6 times in a year for a while (my main photo site).

lauriek: They are 4-5 mm long.

beetleman: I checked it in antweb. The USA species are quite the same at the first glance. It can be found in Florida for example.
Péter

acerola

Post by acerola »

I just checked antweb and there are at least 10 cork head species under Camponotus. More of them from the USA, so you can keep your eyes open. :)
Péter

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

:smt119 Nest in dead limb 60' up in pond pine :smt103
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

Beautiful, I love those ants. They have long been considered a separate genus Colobopsis, but are now considered to belong in Camponotus.

Danny

Post by Danny »

Never seen anything like it !!. This would be one of the most interesting ant shots out. I'm amazed :shock:

All the best and fantastic detail BTW. Great work and shots.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

jmlphoto

Post by jmlphoto »

haha that first one is real funny, great shots of an unusual insect.
Jordan L. photo southern california.

acerola

Post by acerola »

Gordon: Interesting that it became Camponotus, it is more similar to Dolichoderus by the look of them.

Thanks for all
Péter

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

There is still some debate as to whether the correct placement is Campontus or not. They are unquestionably a Formicine though and not a Dolichoderine. However about the only feature in which they differ is the head shape which is not considered by most the be significant enough to warrant their own genus

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic