"Spicula from Sponge" "Tethia Eronium"

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

"Spicula from Sponge" "Tethia Eronium"

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

The slide says what the title says. Googled the name, no results.

ZS, PMax, corners became really dark. Trailing dust that needs fixing. 100x objective magnification.
They look like flower pollen, interesting.

Sumguy01

Re: "Spicula from Sponge" "Tethia Eronium"

Post by Sumguy01 »

=D> Very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

I like the definition and the dark outlines of the spicules. I would say it would make a much more striking image if you cleaned up the background, as you say your sensor looks a bit dusty too. I had a few dust spots on the sensor of my 5D and had a go at cleaning it - it ended up looking like this! I sent it to Canon and they did a good job.

Dave

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

micro_pix wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:54 am
I like the definition and the dark outlines of the spicules. I would say it would make a much more striking image if you cleaned up the background, as you say your sensor looks a bit dusty too. I had a few dust spots on the sensor of my 5D and had a go at cleaning it - it ended up looking like this! I sent it to Canon and they did a good job.

Dave
Definitely! Troubles with the Nikon Z system. The mount is shallow, the mount is massive, there's nothing protecting the sensor coverglass from trouble. Dust gets in way too easily.
Sensor cleaning isn't too difficult, it requires practice though. Also, never put in too much force, one might end up degrading the sensor coverglass coatings depending on the solution used (typically strong and pure solutions will cause this issue).

Ones I use: https://photosol.com/products/eclipse-optic-fluid/
For swabs, I use the cheaper VSGO ones. They are a huge supplier of these swabs in Asia, most service centres in Asia use their swabs. Nice and cheap.
While Eclipse is safe with proper cleaning technique, it can remove the coating with prolonged cleaning and aggressive pressure. This is due to the pure concentration of methanol in Eclipse. Aeroclipse®, to render it non-flammable, has considerably less methanol and is safe under all normal circumstances and proper technique.

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Thanks for the info. It was the swabs I was using that were the issue, they covered the sensor in lint! I’ll look for the VGSO swabs.

Dave

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic