Yellow Jacket

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Billy B

Yellow Jacket

Post by Billy B »

Nikon D7100, Nikon 55mm micro lens w /Kiron MC 7 2x Teleconverter, Helicon Stack.
For some reason, my eyes are
2020-05-25-20-42-03-(B,Radius8,Smoothing4)-copy.jpg
always attracted to the white portion of it's mandibles. Not certain if that's common with all Yellow Jackets.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Yellow Jacket

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice image, some halos around the antennae. I'm guessing this is Helicon Method B? You might want to try also Method C. There are tradeoffs -- each method generates different artifacts.

About the mandibles, I think that the white is not part of the wasp, but something white that the wasp was chewing on when it died. Notice that the white fills the space between the mandibles, spreads out onto the face on the right side of the image, and is not symmetric on both sides of the face.

--Rik

Billy B

Post by Billy B »

Thanks ---Rik. I think your right about the white ( no, I'm not a poet ) I'll try the C method with Helicon. I have not figured out how to delete the images in Helicon Focus with out closing out Helicon Remote first. I can remove the images from a stack but when I want to shoot a new stack, the images from the previous shoot remains. I have a lot to learn. ( lol )

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

In the Helicon Focus menu system, take a look at "File > Remove all images". You can also select individual images and do File > "Remove image" to get rid of just those. These operations are also available in the right-click popup menu in the list of files.

--Rik

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

The white area spreading from between the mandibles could be Beauveria bassiana “Icing Sugar Fungus” or a similar fungus.

David

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

micro_pix wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:05 am
could be Beauveria bassiana “Icing Sugar Fungus” or a similar fungus.
Good idea, some sort of fungus does seem likely.

It's impressive that Google search on icing sugar fungus turns up a #2 hit for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauveria_bassiana, despite the fact that that article does not contain either of the words "icing" or "sugar" !

I suppose they got it by correlating from many web pages, then boosting Wikipedia because it's a highly trusted source.

Edited to add: aha! Maybe Google is not so clever as I imagined. In Wikipedia there is a redirect from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Icing_sugar_fungus . Google returns only the result of the redirection. But DuckDuckGo points to the Icing_sugar_fungus page, which then redirects to Beauveria_bassiana and in that case "(Redirected from Icing sugar fungus)" does appear on the page that is returned. Still pretty clever...

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic