Need help with Nikon Camera lucida for an Optiphot

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Robert Berdan

Need help with Nikon Camera lucida for an Optiphot

Post by Robert Berdan »

I recently purchased a camera lucida for the Nikon Optiphot and figured it would be straight forward to setup. I installed it above the objective turret, then placed the trinocular head above it. But not matter what adjustments I make it does project an image. I turned the lights off still can't I have not luck looking for instructions or a manual. If anyone has experience and give me some pointers on how it is supposed to work I would appreciate it. It fits and clamps in, there are several openings including a green filter on the end and the middle handle appears to be for focusing - but not light is being projected.

Otherwise I am going to disassemble to see if anything inside is damaged.

It appears to be in good condition.
Thank you

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi Robert,

Excellent purchase!

I don't know this particular one but all the other modern drawing tubes will not project an image.

Instead, they superimpose an image of the drawing area (paper, pencil, hand) into the microscope image that you see through the binocular eyepieces. The mechanism in the arm will move an internal optic and bring the drawing area image into focus.

That's a huge advantage over a camera lucida; you can work with near normal room lighting, maybe just add a spotlight for the drawing area.

Please try this out first. If it doesn't work, let us know as there could be a defect.

Regards, Ichty

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Not sure to understand your post, does it project or doesn't?

AFAIK it is not meant to project the image but to see simultaneously through the eyepieces the microscope image and the paper where you painting.
Pau

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Here are two Olympus drawing tube manuals. It is very likely that they work along the same principle. Might be interesting to read for additional advice.

http://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olymp ... ctions.pdf
http://www.olympuschina.com/upload/acce ... 726159.pdf

Robert Berdan

Thankyou for the links to the Olympus manuals

Post by Robert Berdan »

Thank you for including the links I have downloaded the manuals and will read them shortly. I am hoping to draw some ciliates to accompany my photomicrographs.

Much appreciated.
RB

Robert Berdan

Doesn't project

Post by Robert Berdan »

Hi Pau and Ichthyophthirius - the device does not project, though it appears as if it should. I looked down the microscope through the trinocular head and the only thing I see is the subject. I tried darkening the room and reducing the light intensity but don't see anything. Itis as if a prism is missing.

I am reading the Olympus instructions to which a link was kindly provided though the olympus device is similar its still different which is why I was hoping someone had a link to the Nikon camera lucida insturctions.

Thank you for your help.
RB

Robert Berdan

Thank you Itchy - it works as you said!

Post by Robert Berdan »

Hi Itchy - I did as you suggested put a light on the paper and reduced the microscope light intensity - and indeed now it works! Saved me from taking the device apart for no reason.

Your advice and help is much appreciated Thank you.

Been using microscopes for years this is the first time I used a camera lucida, my plan is to draw some ciliates to accompany some of my photomicrograps.

Again thanks for your advice - it Works! :lol:

Also thank you to all of you for your help and suggestions.
I owe you some beer, but you will have to come to Calgary
ito get them :D

Photomicro

Re: Doesn't project

Post by Photomicro »

Robert Berdan wrote:Hi Pau and Ichthyophthirius - the device does not project, though it appears as if it should. I looked down the microscope through the trinocular head and the only thing I see is the subject. I tried darkening the room and reducing the light intensity but don't see anything.
RB
By "see the subject" do you mean the microscope image?

If so, you need to balance this with light reflected from your piece of paper underneath the unit, on the desk. This usually means having a reading or similar light, shining onto the paper.

To help, the unit will have some mechanism to help balance this too, usually by darkening the image from the microscope using ND filters.

There will probably also be a mechanism for making the image of the paper in focus at the same time as the microscope image.

Several manufacturers made this kind of device, including Zeiss, Wild etc. and broadly speaking, they are working on the same basic principle.

The ideal is to get the brightness of the two images such that you see the creature you want to draw, as well as your pencil point and lines that you subsequently draw. It does take some getting use to, but works well.
regards, Mike.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66189529@N08/

Robert Berdan

Thank you to everyone The Camera lucida now works!

Post by Robert Berdan »

Thank you all for sharing information - I lit up the paper, reduced the light intensity through the scope and now I can see my hand , the paper. and the specimen.

I thought the image would be projected onto the paper, maybe in the old days that is how a camera lucida worked.

Thankyou to everyone, if you come to Calgary someday please contact me and I will take you out for a few Canadian beers.

Much appreciated all of your advice - I am very happy now.
Thank you
Robert Berdan
PS thanks Photomicro

Photomicro

Post by Photomicro »

You are most welcome.

Thought it should work out once you realised it wasn't supposed to project an image. Yes, some of the original camera lucida devices worked in that way.

Glad you got help to see how it worked *before* you took it apart !
regards, Mike.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66189529@N08/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic