Need Focus Drive for Wild M8 Stereo Microscope

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

atariwarrior

Need Focus Drive for Wild M8 Stereo Microscope

Post by atariwarrior »

I have a Wild M8 stereo microscope body that needs a focus drive. Does anyone have one that they are willing to sell?

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

They are quite uncommon loose. You will likely have more luck picking up a focus rack from a different maker and adapting it on. Plus side, you can get a coarse/fine focus drive that way.

atariwarrior

Post by atariwarrior »

I have tried looking for one but have had no luck. Can you recommend one that will work?

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

There are a few options out there. I use one off an Olympus stereo on my wild m400, and Nikon smz-u focus drives also seem to come up fairly often (though these will likely be more annoying to adapt since they use a dovetail/setscrew connection rather than bolts). That said many focus drives with a 76mm hoop have the hoop as a separate piece attached with bolts, so it can be removed to accept an adapter to mount your m8. If you don't already have a base you might want to aim for one that comes with a focus drive as well and go from there.
I ordered one of these in an attempt to fine a cheap replacement for an m420: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coaxial-Coarse ... 3412145067
The 76mm mount can be removed (held on with two bolts and I think two indexing pins), but the quality was very, very low. Fortunately it also arrived broken so I was able to get a refund, but I wouldn't recommend that type.
I have seen one of these Leica clones briefly in person, and the build quality seemed much higher: https://www.ebay.com/itm/76mm-Microscop ... 4240307398 I haven't tried one extensively though, and they're kind of expensive.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic