WARNING: Double check your PayPal fees

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nielsgeode

WARNING: Double check your PayPal fees

Post by nielsgeode »

It can happen that you want to purchase something from a forum member and that this forum member asks you to transfer a certain amount + PayPal fee.

In my case I made a mistake in the fee calculation. The result is that the seller only received 99.75% of the expected amount. As a consequence, the seller refunded the transaction and refuses to sell anything to me.

So buyers, beware!!

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Paypal fees is 3%+30c I believe? If the seller refunds you, he/she loses the 30c though.

But yeah, paypal fees are ridiculous. They are still considering making the 3% "non-refundable" too when a buyer asks for a refund, which basically means people will be able to screw with sellers by ordering $10k worth of items then getting it refunded, making the seller lose $300 on top of the 30c, I can't see how this can go wrong... /s

Hope something better puts them out of business.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:Paypal fees is 3%+30c I believe? If the seller refunds you, he/she loses the 30c though.

But yeah, paypal fees are ridiculous. They are still considering making the 3% "non-refundable" too when a buyer asks for a refund, which basically means people will be able to screw with sellers by ordering $10k worth of items then getting it refunded, making the seller lose $300 on top of the 30c, I can't see how this can go wrong... /s

Hope something better puts them out of business.
Transferwise is really good, check them out:

https://transferwise.com/us

Someone reversed a charge on their credit card paypal payment to me, unrelated to buying camera gear BTW, lost the chargeback, tried it again, lost again, tried it again for a third time and later changed his mind and withdrew the chargeback, sounds simple right?

Paypal charges the seller, me, $20 per chargeback and they don't list or itemize the fee, they just keep the money and pay you the net funds. :shock:

Robert

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:Hope something better puts them out of business.
Fortunately, if you can trust the seller, bank transfers within the Euro-zone are very cheap. My bank charges me 0.20 Euros per transfer, no matter how large the sum; other banks do it for free.

Of course, there is no way of getting the money back other than going to court. Maybe in this case Niels was lucky; if a seller makes a big issue out of 0.25% there would have been other headaches down the line ...

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:
Fortunately, if you can trust the seller, bank transfers within the Euro-zone are very cheap. My bank charges me 0.20 Euros per transfer, no matter how large the sum; other banks do it for free.

Of course, there is no way of getting the money back other than going to court. Maybe in this case Niels was lucky; if a seller makes a big issue out of 0.25% there would have been other headaches down the line ...
It's true, my bank even allows bank transfer with no fees at all, and within the Euro zone you can transfer money 'as a friend' with PayPal without any fees. When it's the first time you do business with someone, you are never 100% certain the other person is honest. If it is a large sum of money, I wouldn't take the risk. I've been scammed once for 600 euros (not on this forum) and it will not happen again. When you send money 'as a friend' with PayPal, there is no buyer protection and the same 'rules' as a bank transfer apply.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:

Transfers won't work for Australians as we don't have a market for the stuff we're typically after on this forum.

Moreover, I'm actually talking about selling. From a buyer's standpoint, Paypal is something to love. I'm a seller too and Paypal has screwed me over before. Luckily Australia's customer protection laws are very good. I was able to take them on and get the stolen money back.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:Maybe in this case Niels was lucky; if a seller makes a big issue out of 0.25% there would have been other headaches down the line ...
It's this.

In spite of the talk about paypal this seems more about putting this person on blast for being unreasonable. Which is fine I guess.

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Ichthyophthirius wrote:Maybe in this case Niels was lucky; if a seller makes a big issue out of 0.25% there would have been other headaches down the line ...
It's this.

In spite of the talk about paypal this seems more about putting this person on blast for being unreasonable. Which is fine I guess.
Well, I'm not mentioning the name or username of the seller, so I don't think it's blaming an individual. There's not benefit in telling who it was, it will help nobody.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic