Decisions, decisions

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dhmiller

Decisions, decisions

Post by dhmiller »

I plan to buy a new Windows laptop for use exclusively for focusing prior to stacking. I"ll be using Capture One Pro (or Control My Nikon) tethered to a Nikon D850 to focus the shot and view the specimen while positioning but then I'll disconnect the laptop from the camera and do the shots with a Stackshot. I'm considering a 17 inch full HD laptop (refurbished Dell Inspiron) or a 15 inch refurb Dell XPS with 4k UHD. Both have some components that I don't need (but not relevant), and the 15 inch XPS is several $100 more than the 17 inch laptop. But the real question is, which screen would make the most sense? Full HD stretched to 17 inch is not going to be as pretty as 4K, but is it really necessary? Eyes are pretty good, so I am just looking for some advice here. 15 or 17?
Thanks for any thoughts or alternative suggestions. (Actually, it doesn't have to be a laptop...)

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

I don't know what version of software you have but if this is your first 4K screen, I recommend checking that the software actually supports 4K. If not, you'll have to run the screen at HD resolution, making 4K pointless.

Regards, Ichty

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

So the software supports 4k, but the resolution of Live View is so much lower that someone suggested I not waste the money on a 4k display for this application. Does that make sense? I am only using the laptop for focusing...

Ichthyophthirius wrote:I don't know what version of software you have but if this is your first 4K screen, I recommend checking that the software actually supports 4K. If not, you'll have to run the screen at HD resolution, making 4K pointless.

Regards, Ichty

Ichthyophthirius

Yes, you really don't need 4K for live view.

BTW, for my microscope I have connected the Canon camera to a mini PC (one of the tiny workstations that you can fit behind a screen).

Asus mini PC with Windows, $30; Samsung 19" screen $50; both second hand off Ebay. For an eventual upgrade you only need to exchange the PC - very inexpensive and environmentally friendly solution.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:BTW, for my microscope I have connected the Canon camera to a mini PC (one of the tiny workstations that you can fit behind a screen).
I've never heard of a mini pc (other than a Raspberry Pi etc.). What model are you using.

-JW:

Ichthyophthirius

Hi,

An Acer Veriton n260g. There is nothing special about that particular mini PC, just that is was available second hand two years ago. It has a power consumption of just 15W which is another nice feature (very little heat). It has enough USB ports for a microscope setup.

There is an endless supply of these mini PCs on Ebay here in Europe, presumably from company offices which just through them out every few years.

Regards, Ichty

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

What do you think of this model? I have a nice monitor already and of course a keyboard. Will be running Capture One Pro and Control my Nikon (I guess you just download any needed apps...)

https://www.asus.com/us/Mini-PCs/Mini-PC-PB60/

Ichthyophthirius wrote:Hi,

An Acer Veriton n260g. There is nothing special about that particular mini PC, just that is was available second hand two years ago. It has a power consumption of just 15W which is another nice feature (very little heat). It has enough USB ports for a microscope setup.

There is an endless supply of these mini PCs on Ebay here in Europe, presumably from company offices which just through them out every few years.

Regards, Ichty

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I think he was talking about these, around 50 bucks. Oops no O/S on these pups.

https://www.ebay.com/c/118343991
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Smokedaddy wrote:I think he was talking about these, around 50 bucks.

Bear in mind, those particular units have been wiped and do not include an operating system.

--RIk

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... I should linked these then, proly can pick them up super cheap, maybe even 20 bucks (if you had a need for one). These come with Win7 on them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Veriton-N ... SwUlhdZAWV

-JW:

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

Ya, a little too basic for my tastes.
Smokedaddy wrote:I think he was talking about these, around 50 bucks. Oops no O/S on these pups.

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

Can't tell what I/O that has, especially for the display. HDMI would be nice.. Will have a closer look. Thanks.
Smokedaddy wrote:... I should linked these then, proly can pick them up super cheap, maybe even 20 bucks (if you had a need for one). These come with Win7 on them.

-JW:

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... I know absolutely nothing about these devices, just shared a link is all. When it comes to small devices like this I'm a Raspberry Pi guy and didn't even know these existed. :roll:

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

No OS shouldn't matter too much, there's many sites that sell legitimate surplus OS serials. Just install a copy, or rather run it unactivated, haha.

These serials usually come from big companies or defunct companies which order a massive batch of them. I upgraded my win10 to the professional version without a problem. They go for $10-$15.

My main machine is running Windows LTSC, simply fed up with their forced updates and what-not.

As for the question of 4k, I don't think it's necessary. My 17in laptop runs 1080p, I can't see "stretched out pixels". My external monitor is a 27in Benq photography monitor, and it's only 2k. Unless I go very close, I can't see the pixels either. But then, I've never used a 4k monitor, so my input might not be as valuable.

Ichthyophthirius

Smokedaddy wrote:... I should linked these then, proly can pick them up super cheap, maybe even 20 bucks (if you had a need for one). These come with Win7 on them.

-JW:
That's the kind of device I have. The USB 2 ports were sufficient for my setup with the Canon 500D.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic