www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Raynox DCR-150 tube assembly with flocking
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Raynox DCR-150 tube assembly with flocking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mawyatt



Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 2270
Location: Clearwater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
mawyatt wrote:

You can't use the Nikon BR2A with the MJKZZ tubes, these tubes have an unknown to me threads (I've asked if anyone knows, but no one answered). They are about 57mm diameter, and seem to be some non-standard thread that only these eBay type tubes use. The tubes are OK, it's the F mount adapters that are the issue.

Agree it would be nice to find a ring adapter for these tubes so we could utilize quality F adapters.


The ebay tubes I own come in 2 diameter s, 60mm for the Canon EF sets and 57mm for Sony E and Minolta MD. The speed seems to be 0.75. So the Nikon ones appear to be the same as the Sony ones. I use cheap M60-M58 and M57-M55 step down rings respectively to connect these tubes to other components. For this purpose maybe an M57-M55 plus M55-M42 step down ring would be a good solution. Or M57-M52 plus Nikon BR2A.


Dick,

Yes the Sony seems like it's the same size as the Nikon F mount tubes. I'm going to order some M57 adapters. This is really good news if these fit and the threads match, then we can forgo the sloppy F mounts and use a quality F mount like the BR2A with a M57 ring adapter.

Today is starting out on a good note Very Happy

Thanks so much for responding,

Best,
_________________
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dhmiller



Joined: 11 Nov 2019
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. The THK products look very high quality, but what do you use to motorize your stacks?
mawyatt wrote:
Dennis,

I don't use the Stackshot anymore, as I've moved to the THK rail types. This doesn't interfere with the THK rails as I have them setup with medium ARCA clamps. This allows you could mount the long ARCA plate to the THK ARCA clamp or the short ARCA plate to the The ARCA clamp. I prefer the long ARCA plate as this is more directly mounted to the lens with better weight distribution.

With the WeMacro tubes this isn't an issue since the short ARCA plate isn't necessary because the F mount adapter fits properly.

You can't use the Nikon BR2A with the MJKZZ tubes, these tubes have an unknown to me threads (I've asked if anyone knows, but no one answered). They are about 57mm diameter, and seem to be some non-standard thread that only these eBay type tubes use. The tubes are OK, it's the F mount adapters that are the issue.

Agree it would be nice to find a ring adapter for these tubes so we could utilize quality F adapters.

Best,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dhmiller



Joined: 11 Nov 2019
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, dickb. It would be great if I could use the Nikon to connect to the camera - that would get the system off to a good start. I'll look into a 57-52 and give that a try.

dickb wrote:
mawyatt wrote:

You can't use the Nikon BR2A with the MJKZZ tubes, these tubes have an unknown to me threads (I've asked if anyone knows, but no one answered). They are about 57mm diameter, and seem to be some non-standard thread that only these eBay type tubes use. The tubes are OK, it's the F mount adapters that are the issue.

Agree it would be nice to find a ring adapter for these tubes so we could utilize quality F adapters.


The ebay tubes I own come in 2 diameter s, 60mm for the Canon EF sets and 57mm for Sony E and Minolta MD. The speed seems to be 0.75. So the Nikon ones appear to be the same as the Sony ones. I use cheap M60-M58 and M57-M55 step down rings respectively to connect these tubes to other components. For this purpose maybe an M57-M55 plus M55-M42 step down ring would be a good solution. Or M57-M52 plus Nikon BR2A.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mawyatt



Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 2270
Location: Clearwater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmiller wrote:
Thanks, Mike. The THK products look very high quality, but what do you use to motorize your stacks?
mawyatt wrote:
Dennis,

I don't use the Stackshot anymore, as I've moved to the THK rail types. This doesn't interfere with the THK rails as I have them setup with medium ARCA clamps. This allows you could mount the long ARCA plate to the THK ARCA clamp or the short ARCA plate to the The ARCA clamp. I prefer the long ARCA plate as this is more directly mounted to the lens with better weight distribution.

With the WeMacro tubes this isn't an issue since the short ARCA plate isn't necessary because the F mount adapter fits properly.

You can't use the Nikon BR2A with the MJKZZ tubes, these tubes have an unknown to me threads (I've asked if anyone knows, but no one answered). They are about 57mm diameter, and seem to be some non-standard thread that only these eBay type tubes use. The tubes are OK, it's the F mount adapters that are the issue.

Agree it would be nice to find a ring adapter for these tubes so we could utilize quality F adapters.

Best,


You add a stepper motor, a NEMA 11 for the KR15, and NEMA 17 for the KR20 and 26. The NEMA 11 are 200 step while the NEMA 17 are 400 step. The KR15, and 20s have 1mm pitch, and the KR26 has a 2mm pitch, these are what I have and use.

You can operate any of these with the Stackshot Controller, or WeMacro, or MJKZZ controllers with the proper mating connectors. I've done this and know they all work.

Later I needed to go with a stack and stitch system, and purchased the somewhat expensive MJKZZ system which doesn't work with Mac OS (my fault for not confirming future Mac support Embarassed ). So I had some excess motors, rails and extrusions & hardware on hand (why I have some MJKZZ rails). I starting looking into seeing if could adapt to what I had and quickly realized I needed either to get a PC or develop and completely new system, chose the later. Glad I did because this eventually lead to the development of the Trinamic based stepper controllers and operate at a different performance level which I've posted much information on.

The effort evolved to single, dual, triple and quad axis controllers all working from a Raspberry Pi and work with various rails and stepper motors, including the Stackshot, Wemacro and MJKZZ since the controllers are completely configurable & programmable . Now these controllers can support the nanometer level Piezoelectric Stages (with Piezo Stage Controller) with the Trinamic controllers, all from a single Raspberry Pi. So one could have a 3 axis Stack and Stitch system with coarse & fine Z axis if needed, the fine being from the Piezo Stage and coarse form a conventional stepper based rail.

Anyway, the THK are very high quality rails, some of the best available I believe. Many use them with their systems on many different platforms.

If you watch eBay sometimes the KR20, KR26 or smaller KR20 can be found for reasonable cost. These are easily adapted for macro use, and outperform the standard macro rails.

Best,
_________________
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dhmiller



Joined: 11 Nov 2019
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. Wish I had some of those engineering skills ;-) but my graduate degree in music composition didn't get me too far into that world ;-) (my son in law is a mechanical engineer, but with two kids under 5 and one on the way, he doesn't have much time. He builds control systems for the navy's newest class of destroyers and controls everything remotely...).

I've got a lot of practice to do with the Stackshot and MJKZZ system, and still need such basics as a precision specimen holder (trying to get thorough info from William, but he's tied up at the moment.).

Maybe some day ;-)

mawyatt wrote:
dhmiller wrote:
Thanks, Mike. The THK products look very high quality, but what do you use to motorize your stacks?
mawyatt wrote:
Dennis,

I don't use the Stackshot anymore, as I've moved to the THK rail types. This doesn't interfere with the THK rails as I have them setup with medium ARCA clamps. This allows you could mount the long ARCA plate to the THK ARCA clamp or the short ARCA plate to the The ARCA clamp. I prefer the long ARCA plate as this is more directly mounted to the lens with better weight distribution.

With the WeMacro tubes this isn't an issue since the short ARCA plate isn't necessary because the F mount adapter fits properly.

You can't use the Nikon BR2A with the MJKZZ tubes, these tubes have an unknown to me threads (I've asked if anyone knows, but no one answered). They are about 57mm diameter, and seem to be some non-standard thread that only these eBay type tubes use. The tubes are OK, it's the F mount adapters that are the issue.

Agree it would be nice to find a ring adapter for these tubes so we could utilize quality F adapters.

Best,


You add a stepper motor, a NEMA 11 for the KR15, and NEMA 17 for the KR20 and 26. The NEMA 11 are 200 step while the NEMA 17 are 400 step. The KR15, and 20s have 1mm pitch, and the KR26 has a 2mm pitch, these are what I have and use.

You can operate any of these with the Stackshot Controller, or WeMacro, or MJKZZ controllers with the proper mating connectors. I've done this and know they all work.

Later I needed to go with a stack and stitch system, and purchased the somewhat expensive MJKZZ system which doesn't work with Mac OS (my fault for not confirming future Mac support Embarassed ). So I had some excess motors, rails and extrusions & hardware on hand (why I have some MJKZZ rails). I starting looking into seeing if could adapt to what I had and quickly realized I needed either to get a PC or develop and completely new system, chose the later. Glad I did because this eventually lead to the development of the Trinamic based stepper controllers and operate at a different performance level which I've posted much information on.

The effort evolved to single, dual, triple and quad axis controllers all working from a Raspberry Pi and work with various rails and stepper motors, including the Stackshot, Wemacro and MJKZZ since the controllers are completely configurable & programmable . Now these controllers can support the nanometer level Piezoelectric Stages (with Piezo Stage Controller) with the Trinamic controllers, all from a single Raspberry Pi. So one could have a 3 axis Stack and Stitch system with coarse & fine Z axis if needed, the fine being from the Piezo Stage and coarse form a conventional stepper based rail.

Anyway, the THK are very high quality rails, some of the best available I believe. Many use them with their systems on many different platforms.

If you watch eBay sometimes the KR20, KR26 or smaller KR20 can be found for reasonable cost. These are easily adapted for macro use, and outperform the standard macro rails.

Best,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mawyatt



Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 2270
Location: Clearwater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mawyatt wrote:
dickb wrote:
mawyatt wrote:

You can't use the Nikon BR2A with the MJKZZ tubes, these tubes have an unknown to me threads (I've asked if anyone knows, but no one answered). They are about 57mm diameter, and seem to be some non-standard thread that only these eBay type tubes use. The tubes are OK, it's the F mount adapters that are the issue.

Agree it would be nice to find a ring adapter for these tubes so we could utilize quality F adapters.


The ebay tubes I own come in 2 diameter s, 60mm for the Canon EF sets and 57mm for Sony E and Minolta MD. The speed seems to be 0.75. So the Nikon ones appear to be the same as the Sony ones. I use cheap M60-M58 and M57-M55 step down rings respectively to connect these tubes to other components. For this purpose maybe an M57-M55 plus M55-M42 step down ring would be a good solution. Or M57-M52 plus Nikon BR2A.


Dick,

Yes the Sony seems like it's the same size as the Nikon F mount tubes. I'm going to order some M57 adapters. This is really good news if these fit and the threads match, then we can forgo the sloppy F mounts and use a quality F mount like the BR2A with a M57 ring adapter.

Today is starting out on a good note Very Happy

Thanks so much for responding,

Best,


Good news thanks to the note by Dick mentioned above. The 57mm to 55mm ring adapters fit these tubes in the MJKZZ kit. I went with 57mm to 55mm, then 55mm to 52mm since 52mm is size of the Nikon BR2A F mount adapter. You won't need the wobbly lens adapter either with these ring adapters since you can go from 52mm to any size like the Raynox requires, or 42mm, or another size with a simple ring adapter.

So for ~$40 extra (Nikon BR2A + 57M to 55F + 55M to 57F + 52M to 55F + 55M to 52F), now I can toss the MJKZZ lens kit loose and wobbly F camera and lens mounts in the trash, and have a nice rigid lens assembly without any fiddling or glue!!

Thanks to dickb for noting the 57mm ring adapters fit these tubes!

Best,
_________________
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dickb



Joined: 05 Jul 2010
Posts: 226

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mawyatt wrote:
So for ~$40 extra (Nikon BR2A + 57M to 55F + 55M to 57F + 52M to 55F + 55M to 52F), now I can toss the MJKZZ lens kit loose and wobbly F camera and lens mounts in the trash, and have a nice rigid lens assembly without any fiddling or glue!!

Thanks to dickb for noting the 57mm ring adapters fit these tubes!


You're welcome. Glad to hear it works well for you.

There is quite a bit of variation in the bayonet parts of these tube sets. The Canon ones I have are a poor fit, but one of my Sony E ones happens to fit quite well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mawyatt



Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 2270
Location: Clearwater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
mawyatt wrote:
So for ~$40 extra (Nikon BR2A + 57M to 55F + 55M to 57F + 52M to 55F + 55M to 52F), now I can toss the MJKZZ lens kit loose and wobbly F camera and lens mounts in the trash, and have a nice rigid lens assembly without any fiddling or glue!!

Thanks to dickb for noting the 57mm ring adapters fit these tubes!


You're welcome. Glad to hear it works well for you.

There is quite a bit of variation in the bayonet parts of these tube sets. The Canon ones I have are a poor fit, but one of my Sony E ones happens to fit quite well.


Agree, I had to get a bunch to get something reasonable for F mount. The other weak link is the F lens adapter, the lever arm pin in everyone I have is loose which allows some slight rotational slop.

You might notice I used 3 clamps with the MJKZZ system, this is because of poor F mount interface at the objective end. The "extra" clamp allowed "bracketing" the interface and freezing it's position, but left the camera end to deal with the sloppy F mount adapter. That's also been cured, now I can use the superb Nikon BR2A F to 52mm on the camera end and don't need the loose 57mm to F mount adapter with the kit....and don't need to use the ARCA plate to "freeze" the lens assembly to the camera body anymore!!

With these 57mm ring adapters I don't have to deal with any of this anymore...and now can focus on more important things!!

Thanks again for alerting us to the 57mm threads and available ring adapters.

Best,
_________________
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group