Mounting Camera/Rail to Base

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: Chris S., Pau, rjlittlefield, ChrisR

Post Reply
AlexC
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:34 am
Location: Oregon

Mounting Camera/Rail to Base

Post by AlexC »

Just purchased a Bellows (PB-5) and focusing rail. I'm curious as to what would work well for mounting everything. I've tried a tripod and there is far too much vibration. I've seen people use plates of aluminum, wood, etc. which would be set on a table to minimize any movement caused by the shutter or other forces. Are there any commercial products, or DIY strategies that work well? Any help appreciated!

catchsoul
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:22 am
Location: Vietnam

Re: Mounting Camera/Rail to Base

Post by catchsoul »

AlexC wrote:Just purchased a Bellows (PB-5) and focusing rail. I'm curious as to what would work well for mounting everything. I've tried a tripod and there is far too much vibration. I've seen people use plates of aluminum, wood, etc. which would be set on a table to minimize any movement caused by the shutter or other forces. Are there any commercial products, or DIY strategies that work well? Any help appreciated!
Here's my set-up, take a look.

ImageGear2 by Nguyen Kelvin, on Flickr

Hope it's useful for you!

AlexC
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:34 am
Location: Oregon

Re: Mounting Camera/Rail to Base

Post by AlexC »

Yes it does! Thank you! I Definitely underestimated the need for a very solid configuration of the rail/camera/bellows to sit on. I'll have to source some aluminum. Did you have tap threads yourself into the base plate?

Chris S.
Site Admin
Posts: 3490
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by Chris S. »

Welcome to the forum, Alex!

If you haven't done so already, I strongly suggest you study the macro rigs in this thread: FAQ: Example macro rigs. Don't be surprised to find so much useful information that you find yourself compelled to stop and read during every spare hour you have for several weeks. It's like putting one's mouth to a fire hydrant and turning on the valve. But this is a good thing--you'll get the results of thousand of hours of experimentation for tens of hours of reading.

What you'll see is a bunch of macro rigs that have been tried. You'll get a lot of ideas--some great, some not. If you have any questions, come back and ask them: "I see examples of both Y and Z. Is one better than the other? Please explain."

It's a tremendous resource set. If you peruse it--and even better, ask questions about what your see--no doubt the rig you build will be better for it.

Cheers,

--Chris S.

AlexC
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:34 am
Location: Oregon

Post by AlexC »

Thank you for the kind welcome! This is perfect, I'll definitely be spending some good time going through those posts! Appreciate it! :D

Yawns
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:18 am
Location: Benavente, Portugal

Post by Yawns »

an easy thing you can do with gym weights 4x 10 pounds (5kg) and 2 boards (got my boards at DIY store - shelf boards)
quick, easy, inexpensive... you only have to drill a few holes for the screws and the rail.
This can have you started at low cost while you look for something better or more elaborated, like a stone slab or so...

ImageFLK_000064 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

ImageFLK_000063 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190419_230340 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Deanimator
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:01 pm
Location: Rocky River, Ohio, U.S.A.

Re: Mounting Camera/Rail to Base

Post by Deanimator »

catchsoul wrote:
AlexC wrote:Just purchased a Bellows (PB-5) and focusing rail. I'm curious as to what would work well for mounting everything. I've tried a tripod and there is far too much vibration. I've seen people use plates of aluminum, wood, etc. which would be set on a table to minimize any movement caused by the shutter or other forces. Are there any commercial products, or DIY strategies that work well? Any help appreciated!
Here's my set-up, take a look.

ImageGear2 by Nguyen Kelvin, on Flickr

Hope it's useful for you!
Mine is going to look quite similar when it's finished, at least regarding the base.

iconoclastica
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:34 pm
Location: Wageningen, Gelderland

Post by iconoclastica »

If you can hammer and saw five planks together, concrete is the material. You can cast it any size and shape you like, with predrilled srewholes, well-anchored blocks of wood to fix things to, etc.
--- felix filicis ---

GrayPlayer
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:44 pm

Anti vibration pads.

Post by GrayPlayer »

Anti vibration pads help to reduce vibrations. Shutter and curtain delays reduce vibrations also.
Fred H.

dhmiller
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:42 am
Contact:

Post by dhmiller »

What's the rig on the right of the picture that is holding the specimen and is everything mounted to that table or just sitting on it?
Yawns wrote:an easy thing you can do with gym weights 4x 10 pounds (5kg) and 2 boards (got my boards at DIY store - shelf boards)
quick, easy, inexpensive... you only have to drill a few holes for the screws and the rail.
This can have you started at low cost while you look for something better or more elaborated, like a stone slab or so...

ImageFLK_000064 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

ImageFLK_000063 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190419_230340 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

Yawns
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:18 am
Location: Benavente, Portugal

Post by Yawns »

dhmiller wrote:What's the rig on the right of the picture that is holding the specimen and is everything mounted to that table or just sitting on it?
[/quote]

The "Ring" was a "pre-diffuser"
It' was permanent and screwed to the table... the insect / object would
stand in the middle... then the lens would go inside with it's own "custom" diffuser...
I coudn't find a picture.. I just found a screenshot of the CAD design.... The ring was a part of the lighting system...

ImageFLK_000069 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

something like this

ImageUntitled by antonio caseiro, on Flickr
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

dhmiller
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:42 am
Contact:

Post by dhmiller »

Looks very impressive.

Post Reply