www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Earning a living from microscopy
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Earning a living from microscopy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Dowrick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Earning a living from microscopy Reply with quote

Morning All,

Sadly my wife of 36 years died a while back, and the business that we started together is difficult for me to run alone. Both emotionally and technically.

I have been a hobby microscopist for many years and have very good equipment - Olympus BX53, Leica S8APO, Nikon z7 etc.

I now feel it is time to move on in my life (daughter is about to go to University). Do you think it is possible to make a living as an independent microscopist?

I am happy to invest in more equipment, and am not routed in one field of expertise.

Paul
Paul Dowrick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure whether to take the absence of an answer as

1: Hell yes, but do not tell anyone under any circumstance

or

2: No way, but let's not upset the poor fool.
zzffnn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

It may be difficult to earn living from microscopy alone, though you may combine it with nature photography, scientific photography, mineralogy, petrographic microscopy, or even boy scouts kind of activities / scientific after-school program?

At least two other forum members earns part of their living from microscopy, you may want to ask them:

https://www.canadiannaturephotographer.com/

http://mismicrophoto.com/about-me/

I read a while ago that photographers are, in general, poorly paid. However, there are success stories of highly motivated and dedicated photographers.
Paul Dowrick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou very much
zzffnn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe also take a look at the broader and more popular direction: nature photography. See how people are making a living out of that.

I would highly appreciate it, if you can report back your findings. I believe some forum members have considered this option, but have never really started it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: