Yellow woodsorrel seed pods

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

Yellow woodsorrel seed pods

Post by beetleman »

This is a very common "weed" (When is a plant called a weed?) called Yellow woodsorrel. They look like a clover but are not related. Heart shaped leaves, folded down the ridge line. When dry, the seed pods have a triggering mechanism that expels the seeds in all directions from the slightest touch. The first photo shows a green seed pod, the second one shows a ripe seed pod ready to shoot out seeds. Usually if you touch the top point of the pod, the seeds will go flying. Give it a try next time you come across them in your garden. These are also from the August Archives with the older Canon.(more info here)

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well here is another bit of knowledge. :D I have seen these many a time but never new what they were. As a matter of fact, is this what some refer to as "sour grass?" I seem to remember tasting a small plant like this back when I was a dirty faced little kid and it did have a tart taste as I recall. :-k Really like that second image there Doug, lots'a detail :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Interesting plant! And Doug 'weed' is really a gardening term to describe a plant that you didn't plant or one that grows in the wrong place. Not necessarily a bad word in my opinion,some so called weeds are fantastic plants!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

OK, I'm confused. Are the red things seeds? If so, what are they doing on the outside of the pod?!

--Rik

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Interesting info on this plant Doug. Reminds me of a weed from my childhood. We would tell unsuspecting kids that the seeds were candy and they had to put it under their tongue. The moisture would make it pop opens and give them a fright. Oh kids can be nasty, but it was fun!! :D
Joan Young

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

rjlittlefield wrote:OK, I'm confused. Are the red things seeds? If so, what are they doing on the outside of the pod?!

--Rik

Well you know strawberries carry their seeds on the outside(and so are not a true fruit)
Haven't a clue about this one tho,looks like galls on it.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Rik wrote
OK, I'm confused. Are the red things seeds? If so, what are they doing on the outside of the pod?!
--Rik
They are the seeds and I do not know why they are on the outside of the pod. This is the first time I have seen them like this and that is why I took the picture.....maybe a seedpod Malfunction :-k

Ken...I know I have tried them before too. Along with lots of other plants :wink:

Thanks everyone for the great comments.

Here is some more info..it does mention the seeds in this link under fruit.
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/oxast.htm
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Hhmm...

I'll see about putting this one on my "summer investigations" list.

Generally my family tries to keep these things from ever getting to the point of dispersing seed, but maybe this year I'll make an exception or two and see if I can photograph the mechanism.

I'm pretty sure that the seeds form on the inside of the pod and get ejected when the pod springs apart.

Perhaps this particular plant had a "wardrobe malfunction" and didn't come apart correctly. :lol:

--Rik

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

beetleman wrote:Rik wrote

Thanks everyone for the great comments.

Here is some more info..it does mention the seeds in this link under fruit.
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/oxast.htm

Ah that looks like the stuff that often comes with shop bought cacti!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic