Hack Transforms Common Microscopes Into Gigapixel Superscope

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

Microscopy illumination engineering using a low-cost liquid crystal display

I am still looking for a suitable LCD display that doesn't use sub-pixels.
--- felix filicis ---

Saul

Post by Saul »

iconoclastica wrote:Microscopy illumination engineering using a low-cost liquid crystal display

I am still looking for a suitable LCD display that doesn't use sub-pixels.
What software are you going to use ?

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

Saul, I suppose you mean software to decode the fourier plane? I haven't yet thought that far. I am not even sure it can be done on a finite tube mic. But even then the lcd offers interesting possibilities as a dynamic darkfield, COL, etc insert.
--- felix filicis ---

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

At high magnification (and NA), with moving subjects, concentrating light efficiently is no less important than shaping light.

I was able to use simple masks under condenser at objective NA of 1.3 to obtain good 3D visual effects. But contrast was not good from resulting a camera images (my sensor is micro 4/3 of Olympus e-M1 mk1; dynamic range is not as good as bigger sensors). And due to low light efficiently (most light was lost by masking), I had to use high iso to get fast shutter speed for freezing motion.

Using light concentrating ability of Leitz Heine condenser (which has internal mirror surface), I was able to get better contrast and similar 3D effects. But I could not broaden the light cone of Heine (it is not user-controllable) and shadows/halos increased significantly as contrast increased and eventually destroyed images. Those experiments were done with a 30W DIY LED.

I hope a fancy software can help with that one day. I volunteer to be a guinea pig if a software developer can gift me a free software to try :twisted:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic