www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Summoning devils -- hickory horned devils, that is
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Summoning devils -- hickory horned devils, that is

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkSturtevant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Summoning devils -- hickory horned devils, that is Reply with quote

I thought the folks here would be interested in a series of pictures that I had taken to document the raising of hickory horned devil caterpillars. This was done a couple years ago.

The hickory horned devil (Citheronia regalis) is, by length, the largest of our caterpillars. Eggs and pupae of these giants can be purchased by mail order from a supplier online. They are pretty easy to raise, although it takes the entire summer since the mature caterpillar can be 6 inches long.
I start with pictures of an egg with a developing larva inside. The egg shell is sufficiently transparent that one can see some details. First, you can see the mandibles. Then the head capsule. When the entire larva is pigmented, hatching will occur later the same day.

Next comes the hatching. This happened surprisingly quickly. I thought I would have a leisurely time photographing what would be a slow process. Not so. As I was watching one nibble its way out of its egg shell, others that I was also watching would pretty much come charging out. After hatching, their horns expand and later they start to feed.

Sure, they may be small and funny looking now. But over many weeks, they get BIG. Later posts will show their progress.
Pizzazz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

Way cool! I want to see more of the growing phase.

Mike
Olympusman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Hickory Horned Devil Reply with quote

Nice series.

Mike
nanometer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I love these types of series.
leonardturner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series; thanks for posting.

Leonard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: