Beach Sand

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Figured I would add a stereo pair of the original posting. A larger image can be seen here;

https://squattingdog.smugmug.com/Stereo ... -rXDG2w2/A

-JW:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Looks good, except this one is laid out for parallel viewing, not crossed-eye.

--Rik

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... thanks, this is out of my range of understanding. It looked fine with my stereo Pocket 3Dvu glasses 'or' cross-eyed. Here's one with the left and right swapped.

-JW
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

You have to change the order to get them cross-eye, now they are in wrong order.
- Rane

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Smokedaddy wrote:I don't have a lot of experience photographing things like this, including lighting but here it is.
[picture]
The two pink/violet ones are fragments of the capitulum of balanid barnacles. The third of course a gastropod.
--ES

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

enricosavazzi wrote:
Smokedaddy wrote:I don't have a lot of experience photographing things like this, including lighting but here it is.
The two pink/violet ones are fragments of the capitulum of balanid barnacles. The third of course a gastropod.
Thanks, at least I have something to go on now. I've never even heard of the term, gastropod, or what a Paleobiologist might do. :roll: Looks like it might be closely related to this;

http://txmarspecies.tamug.edu/invertdet ... 0spiratus#

Regards,
-JW:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Smokedaddy wrote:... thanks, this is out of my range of understanding. It looked fine with my stereo Pocket 3Dvu glasses 'or' cross-eyed.
If it looks good both ways, that says your personal visual system is not very sensitive to depth inversion by itself. I get the feeling that's pretty common -- it seems like a lot of people have trouble distinguishing correct from inverted with scenes like this where nothing in the foreground hides anything in the background. Depth inversion is much more obvious with scenes where say one leg passes in front of another, or an antenna passes in front of a face. In that case if the depth gets inverted, then it looks like the thing in back hides the thing in front (!), and most people will recognize that at least to the level of "looks weird".

--Rik

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Like this hair (or whatever it is) and the changing depth of the yellow arrow ...

-JW:
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Smokedaddy wrote:Like this hair (or whatever it is) ...
In concept, yes. But this is not a very good example because the hair is thin and not very far in front of featureless background. The effect is most obvious when the foreground occluder is larger and is much farther in front of richly textured background, so that the stereo depth of each object is clearly established.

--Rik

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... I thought it was interesting how much finer the sand was from Kailua Beach Hawaii compared to Cabo San Lucas (not that this image was a good candidate for a stereo pair.

-JW:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic