Fuji XT-3 - electronic shutter - flash?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cws1745

Fuji XT-3 - electronic shutter - flash?

Post by cws1745 »

In anticipation of high shutter count this year I'm seriously thinking about buying a Fuji XT-3 and adaptor for Canon lenses.

One thing that bothers me is the possible problems of using flash - which I use on my macro platform - when in full electronic shutter mode.

Has anyone got experience with this camera, particularly in relation to the use of flash - any suggested solutions for syncing flash and shutter?

I assume a slow flash sync would be essential because of the way the electronic shutter scans the sensor?

Any advice,comments, suggestions or in fact reasons why not to buy this camera would be appreciated.

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Hello:

I do not know the time of rolling shutter on the X-T3, but some time ago I made some measurements on the X-T1 and the delay, due to the rolling shutter, between the start of the exposure on the first line and the last line, is approximately 1/15 of a second (I imagine that the X-T3 will be similar).

This implies that the shutter time for a flash to expose all lines should be at most 1/15 s plus the duration of flash. That is, an exposure with a duration of at least 0.066 seconds + time flash .. therefore slower speeds must be used (1/8s, 1/4s, 1/2s ...).

Another aspect to keep in mind is that for this reason the flash must be fired at least 1/15 s after the exposure of the camera starts (the moment when the exposure of the last line begins).

It seems that the X-T3 does not allow to synchronize flash in electronic shutter mode:

https://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/fla ... ter.72905/

If the X-T3 does not allow it, you should make a trigger that first starts the exposure of the camera, and with a delay from the start of the exposure of at least 0.066 seconds, fire the flash.

For example, with the elctronic shutter at 1 second (dark or dimly lit room):

- you start the exposure of the camera
- 0.5 seconds later you shoot the flash
-Approximately (1/15 + 1) seconds after the start of the process, the shutter ends.

In the previous link you have an example of an image taken in this way (2.5s) with an X-T2.

I use the X-T1 (with continuous led light) and I am very happy with it. My next step will be to acquire an X-T3 ... but for now I'm still investing in optics.

I hope it helps.
Ramón Dolz

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Here's something for the Nikon EFCS issue. Concept should work for Fuji I would think.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... er&start=0

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic