www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Shy Fly
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Shy Fly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skydive1200

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Shy Fly Reply with quote

Photo stack of a deerfly (?) that was trying to get the breakfast buffet on my leg when it got swatted. I attribute the left leg position to the action of being swatted and it reminded me of a sweet young lady being shy about getting her photo taken. El Nikkor 80mm reversed on a Nikon PB-4 bellows using a Nikon D300 body. Lit with a single speedlight. Image was assembled from a 30 shot stack with Zerene Stacker.

apt403

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot! The EL Nikkors are looking like a pretty solid value proposition. DMAX?

What do you think of the PB-4 bellows, as far as rigidity is concerned? I'm trying to decide between the three varieties at the moment.
skydive1200

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind word. If I remember correctly this was a Dmap stack which left a halo that I haven't read about how to resolve.

The PB-4 bellows is a rock solid piece of hardware. Everything is metal save for the bellows itself. Locking screws for the mounts (camera and lens) are very secure. I hear that some of the Nikon bodies won't work with the PB-4 so you would have to research those limitations.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's a deer fly. It's a member of the horse fly family, Tabanidae. Many of them have brightly colored and patterened eyes. The colors fade shortly after death, so you've done a good job capturing them here.

skydive1200 wrote:
If I remember correctly this was a Dmap stack which left a halo that I haven't read about how to resolve.

There's a control that appears half-way through DMap, giving you a slider to adjust the contrast threshold. Push the slider right, to higher numbers, until all the featureless and out-of-focus regions go "black in preview". For general discussion, see the "How To Use DMap" tutoria,l linked from the main Tutorials index page, at https://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/docs/tutorials/tutorialsindex .

--Rik
skydive1200

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha! Thanks Rik, yeah that makes a difference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Macro All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: