Really in need of an ID

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Really in need of an ID

Post by Ken Ramos »

Apologies for only coming around when needing something but here I am with my hat in my hand needing some assistance. Being this is a very talented group of individuals here, I am hoping that someone may know what this "thing" is. Several of them appeared in a moist chamber culture prepared of Flowering dogwood bark containing one large slime mold plasmodium P. polycephalum, a model organism of sorts for cellular studies. Anyway, the size I am also unsure of possibly between 500-250 um. Please don't ask me about a scale bar because I am public schooled and third grade arithmetic shattered my dreams of becoming a theoretical physicist. There are several others like it but without the distinguishing marks that this particular one has. Fruit bodies of Physarum occurred to me but I have yet to find any of similar appearance. Thanks for looking. :)

Meiji EMZ-8TRH w/Canon Powershot G9X, magnification @ 40X

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

Ken, you might cut it in half. To figure out if there is anything inside.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

WalterD wrote:Ken, you might cut it in half. To figure out if there is anything inside.
I cut some others open already that were not marked as this one was. Most were just plain on the inside. Nothing oozing or squirming about. I was kind of hoping something would hatch and go scampering about but not today. It must be a fungus of some kind but I have looked and looked and not found anything similar. Thanks Walter :D

AlisonP

Post by AlisonP »

I think this is a Myxomycete, or slime mold, a young Badhamia utricularis.
Myxomycete and tiny fungi photography is my passionate hobby.
Instagram: @marin_mushrooms

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

AlisonP wrote:I think this is a Myxomycete, or slime mold, a young Badhamia utricularis.
Crossed my mind too that it could be and I have been waiting and hoping to observe some sort of sporulation but nothing as yet. Thanks Alison :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic