Fish-eating Spider

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Tony T

Fish-eating Spider

Post by Tony T »

Fishing Spider
There are mites, spiders, and SPIDERS. This fellow fits into the latter catergory.
It's one of our local big-river fishing spiders in the genus Dolomedes, and is probably D. scriptus.
They don't spin webs but use the water surface as a web, attacking insects that land on the water surface.
It is reported that these spiders enter beneath the surface to catch insects and small fish - thus a fish-eating spider!
They often rest with their legs stretched out in front and behind, this spider measured 6.8 cm from leg tip to leg tip when resting.
A vouchered specimen: digital SLR + 105mm Micro + 4T close-up 'filter'; f 22 on lens; Helicon Focus stack of 12 exposures each as 0.63 mm spacing.
Cropped.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Tony... I think I've caught fish smaller than this guy! :wink:
Impressive creature, great shot!

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I am not positive but I think I have seen something similar or maybe the same spider down this away but then again I cannot be sure. It was a long time ago. Mostly all I see now are Water Striders. There sure are a lot of "big" spider mugs shots going around here of late. :shock: :lol: Great image there Tony :D

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Great shot Tony. Scary looking creature.

Irwin

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Looks as if it is blind in one of it's top eyes Tony? If they are it's eyes?

DaveW

Tony T

Post by Tony T »

DaveW wrote:Looks as if it is blind in one of it's top eyes Tony? If they are it's eyes?

DaveW
Dave:
there are 4 eyes on top and 4 below. Dehydration has caused the eyes to change. This is a voucher specimen (a polite way of saying it's dead). It was collected 6.5 years ago and photographed this week - so not too bad for an old dried-up voucher :)

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yep, do know what a voucher specimen is Tony, it's the same with plants deposited in herbaria from various collections.

Did hear once of one insect specimen that had been stuck to a museum card for quite a time and suddenly got up and walked away when being examined. Think it was reported on TV or somewhere. Evidently it must have just been dormant for quite a long period or something! :shock:

DaveW :D

acerola

Post by acerola »

I photographed an European Dolomedes last year, when I see trought the finder that it grabbed a mosquito larva from under the surface. What a shot could it be if I can record of that quick movement, but all I could do to stare with open mouth. And I could make some shot later from the spider eating the larva.
Péter

Ted Chappell

Stunning!

Post by Ted Chappell »

I have only just joined this site, being very keen to move into Macro and already have the right gear (I hope) to do so. Canon 30d with Canon Macro 2.8 100mm plus a ring light. Seeing this work is both encouraging and daunting. I want to ask so many questions but doubt if this is the right forum to do so.
Perhaps just one: how do you light a subject like that? Thank you for the inspiration.

Ted

Tony T

Re: Stunning!

Post by Tony T »

Ted Chappell wrote: how do you light a subject like that? Ted
very simple set-up: SEE HERE

Ted Chappell

Heck!

Post by Ted Chappell »

My wife is still getting over me 'fibbing' when I purchased my camera body and two lens! Like all of us I told her that was all I would never need! Since then I have added a fair bit (as we do) and she has no idea I smuggled in a new super-duper tripod this morning!

The idea of me somehow hiding all that amazing gear is, let's say 'ambitious.' Looks as if I have to bribe her with more jewellery.

Thanks heaps for the help.

Ted
Totally new to Macro and this site, so very keen to learn from others, and from viewing the works posted. http://www.pbase.com/tedchappell/galleries

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The problem of acquiring equipment and concealing it's real cost from others was always a problem.

There is an old joke about a photographer on his death bed pulling his friend close to him just before he breathed his last and saying "for God sake Jim don't let the wife sell my photo gear for what she thinks I paid for it!"

Surely we can ask any questions about close up photography here. If some forums are daunting for people new to the subject I am sure the admin team do not mine a basic thread being started? Particularly now as the only other dedicated, but more basic "macro" site, Macrophotography.com now seems to have disappeared off the Internet.

DaveW

Ted Chappell

That idea whould certainly appeal to me Dave

Post by Ted Chappell »

Tena koe Dave (greetings in Maori). Being so new here, and having really concentrated more on birds, flowers, landscapes etc (http://www.pbase.com/tedchappell/galleries)
I really have no idea of where to start. I do have a good quality camera, Canon 30d and I hope an appropriate lens (Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro USM) that I recently purchased for the purpose. I have a set of bellows on order, hoping that may also be of use. Yes, a forum for newbies where people like myself who know the basics of photography but are new to macro would indeed be very beneficial. Perhaps that already exists, I have yet to take a thorough look through the other forums. I am totally fascinated and blown away by the images I am discovering in here.
Cheers
Ted
Totally new to Macro and this site, so very keen to learn from others, and from viewing the works posted. http://www.pbase.com/tedchappell/galleries

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

What I always tell people is don't try and get too large a magnification too quickly or you will be disappointed. You need to get used to working with very limited depth of field, so it is best to start further out at lower magnifications where you have a bit more depth of field initially, then gradually move closer once you get used to handling the limited depth of field.

I have seen a few conventional photographers buy all the gear then strap everything on but the kitchen sink initially and then loose heart because nothing seems in focus. All the macro gear then either gets consigned to a drawer or sold off. It's a case of don't run before you can walk. But once you get used to the constraints it is fascinating.

I note there is a "Beginners Guide to Microscopy" perhaps the same could be provided for Photomacrography?

Sorry I did not intend to hijack your thread Tony T, just replying to the question raised because since Macrophotography.org seems to have closed we may get some of their members finding their way here and they got a lot of novice macro enthusiasts seeking information.

Great spider close-up Tony!

DaveW

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic